NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:08 pm 

Still having this problem. I can create and delete files and folders, but cannot rename them. Any suggestions? (I know - don't use Vista -- not an option at this point).

Thanks - Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:01 pm 

I assume that no one has answered my query due to a lack of ideas. The problem I describe does seem to have appeared in a number of different guises with systems trying to access forms of NAS other than NASlite. I found a solution at http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/Sho ... tID=522208 that appears to address the problem. Here is the info from that entry:

Quote:
I've recently worked an issue very similar to what you have described with Vista Business Edition OEM.

Symptoms, the error "The "\\servername\sharedfolder" does not exist. The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?" comes up if a user copies a file from the Share, edits the file and then tries to copy it back. You are however able to successfully save the file locally ?

A second issue was not being able to rename folders/files on the Share. Again locally is fine just over the network is an issue.

Cause : Possibly the way the OEM vender packaged the OS.

Resolution : Create the parameters key in the following location :
HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/services/csc/parameters

Then within the parameters key, create a DWORD Value named FormatDatabase with a value of 1 (hex) then reboot the machine.

Does anyone see a problem with this parameter? It seems to have cured the "rename" problem, but maybe has some unintended/unforeseen consequences?