NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Naslite+ User
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:42 am 

Hi,

Been playing with NASLite for most of the day and have finally got it to somewhere that seems useful :) What i would like to suggest to the developers are some useful but needed utilities that would lift this product from great to awesome :D

1. Some Disk utilities ie ADD/DELETE directories
2. Ability to rename shares
3. Some way of shifting data from one drive to another eg i wanted to use some 120GB SATA drives that were in an old Windoze machine but because i had to format the drives to use them and have them mounted i spent 4 hours shifting data around.. i dont expect you to support fat32 or NTFS for sharing but at least let us copy or move data from NTFS/FAT32 to the nicer ext2 or 3
4. The ability to have user locking on shares
5. Storing setting data on HDD or USB Flash instead of FDD

Some other utilities like a mp3 player or media streamer would also be nice but not necessary.. There are plenty of free GNU options that wouldnt require a price increase.. or even the ability to add some light add-ons to be stored on a HDD..

The product is great for what it is and i will be using it (seeing as i paid for it).. but if i had known of these limitations i might not have :S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:06 am 

The home page describes what you'll find here as task-specific server operating systems. What you got is a task-specific server operating system. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:36 am 

I agree completely with it being task specific.. and i agree the two footnoted add ons are not task specific.. hence the where framed in the "WIBNI" or wouldn't it be nice if? but i think the points 1 to 4 are very specific to the task of maintaining a NAS and really isnt the security of the NAS assigned to the NAS software? or how else are you going to stop people sniffing through your BLOCKED_WORD? :lol: but on a more serious note.. i dont want employees with a bit of computer savvy going thru my financials.. and i dont want financials on a standalone PC.. so there is the rub..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:10 pm 

You can admin the filesystems just fine through the client. Windows and OSX have a nice GUI to do that with. On a gigabit network it's more than enough to do what you need to do. Besides, moving lots of files between NAS drives is something that may be necessary once in a great while. Most of the time the files on your NAS will stay right where you put them, so a dedicated file manager would be nice but not necessary.

As far as your financials ( and BLOCKED_WORD :P ), take a look at TrueCrypt at http://www.truecrypt.org/. It will allow you to create encrypted containers on your NAS that you can get into only with the proper credentials. Pretty useful with Naslite. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:41 am 

Seems like a useful product but I still maintain that it would be more intelligent to have this type of feature within NASLite.. I will Play with it a bit.. as for your point about moving files being an irregular occurrence i concur but i still think if it were a part of the core functionality it would make life a lot simpler and easier when installing on a system that is an exiting build.. or adding a drive with existing data like i had.. one other point most business's still use 100Mb ethernet- I also notice you have only rebutted 1 of my points and the WIBNI's how about the other points :D[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:43 am 

Hey now! :)

I didn't intend on getting into an in depth argument about the good the bad and the ugly. There are tons of posts on this very forum that do that so you can dig in at any time. People have brought up every one of your points in the past and have received an answer from the SE guys and others. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:33 am 

dimension wrote:

As far as your financials ( and BLOCKED_WORD :P ), take a look at TrueCrypt at http://www.truecrypt.org/. It will allow you to create encrypted containers on your NAS that you can get into only with the proper credentials. Pretty useful with Naslite. :?

I am a very new NASlite user and not that clued up on Linux, I looked at the TruCrypt site and noticed that there is no specific download for NASLite version of Linux, which one did you use? Are there any instructions for loading this software onto the NASlite system ??? a little confused on this one as the NAslite is only loaded into RAM from the CD ..

Apologise for the simple Q's....

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:41 am 

john. wrote:
dimension wrote:

I am a very new NASlite user and not that clued up on Linux, I looked at the TruCrypt site and noticed that there is no specific download for NASLite version of Linux, which one did you use? Are there any instructions for loading this software onto the NASlite system ??? a little confused on this one as the NAslite is only loaded into RAM from the CD ..

Apologise for the simple Q's....

John

You install TrueCrypt on your client, say WinXP. Then you can create an encrypted container on a Naslite share and mount it as a separate, password protected, encrypted drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:03 am 

OK, makes sense.