NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:42 am 

I have two new Western Digita/ Caviar SE/250GB/7200/8MB/ATA-100/EIDE Hard Drives. My BIOS does not detect them. Does Naslite -2 CDD take care of formating them or is this something I have to do. If so, what format?

My system is a Lucky Star 5I-VXCS Version 1.2 ITE8680 motherboard built 5/22/97/ with a Pentium MMX 200MHz with both ISA and PCI sockets. The BIOS is an AWARD Modular Bios 2A59GL1FC-00 #H3-001. Base Memory is 640K, Extended Memory is 130048K, Cache Memory is 512K

My CD-ROM reader is a Pine PT-940A, same vintage in Primary Master position. Primary slave is empty. One new 250GB HD is Secondary Master, (but does not get detected)

Floppy is generic of 1997 vintage.

NIC is a new Linksys 10/100/1000 GIGABIT Model EG1032 which works fine with W98 and I hope it will work with Naslite-2 CDD as well.

Any guidance on formatting the Hard Drives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:11 am 

Well, I found a post that suggests that Naslite can format the drives once it has been booted up. Apparently I am not getting it to boot. I suspect that the problem is that the disk I made is not bootable. Here is how I made my CD:

First, I downloaded file SEI-NL2-CDD.iso and used Ahead's Nero Burning to burn an ISO copy of it. The resulting file on the burned CD has the same name (SEI-NL2-CDD.iso) and it's size is 5,378,048 bytes. This is the file I as trying to use to boot. Have I done something wrong? It appears that many boot problems are caused because newbees like me are not making the right kind of CD or CD file.

If I put my W98 CD in the drive, the computer boots, which is more reason to believe I have not made the right kind of disk.

Can anybody give me some guidance?

Thanks, Floyd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:11 pm 

Try burning the iso at a lower speed like 24x. I have had cds not boot when burned at higher speeds.

It sounds like your computer is set up right since it will boot from other bootable cds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:29 pm 

Thanks! Well I am making progress! I went to alex feimnan's website (isorecorder.alexfeinman.com) where I found a download that works with XP service pack 2. I downloaded and installed it on my main desktop computer. I then used this to unpack the .iso file and make a CD. The CD booted in my Server computer and I got through part of the initialization. When the system tried to verify the NIC, it FAILED (Red Letters!) and shut down. I changed NIC cards, and it did the same thing. I moved the boards around to different PCI slots and it made no difference. I removed the NIC and it did the same thing.

Apparently my NIC's dont work with Naslite-2 CDD. I have (a) NETGEAR 311 Rev D2 which uses a NEC VS306AB chip and (b)Linksys 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Adapter EG1032, ver 3 which uses an RMC RTL8169S32 chip. Both of these cards have worked in my server computer when running W98 2nd Ed, but they apparently won't work tith NasLite-2 CDD.

Has anybody found a way to use these cards? If not, can anyone recommend a card I can go get on Ebay?

Thanks again!, Floyd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:09 am 

I believe that your NICs are supported so the problem may be mobo/IRQ related. Have you tried turning off all unnecessary hardware from the BIOS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:10 pm 

Thanks ALucas! I made some changes to the IRQ settings and am again on my way thanks to you! When I am finally fully successful in getting this installation up, I will pust my total configuration including BIOS settings so the next guy with my MB doesn't have the same problems!

Thanks!! Floyd