NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:21 pm 

My old installation of NASlite died. Bad Power supply. So I'm trying to install on another box and while booting I get a column of numbers like
AX: 0215
BX: 7200
CX: 0101
DX: 0100

I booted the floppy in another machine and it booted ok so the diskette is good I think. Any suggestions what to look for with this problem?

Thanks
arta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:32 pm 

I found some other references to this problem and the suggestion was a bad floppy. I created the floppy from a bootable CD I downloaded from NASLite. I'll try another floppy or another drive and see if that makes a difference. Other hints would be appreciated.

arta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like either a bad floppy drive or cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:14 am 

Thanks Ralph,

I tried a different floppy drive with the same results then I made another floppy using a different brand and the combination worked.

Now the problem is NASlite only see's one of the two hard drives and does not continue to boot past the message DIsk1- found partition. These drives were moved from the original install with no change to the master/slave settings or cable position. Any thoughts?

thanks
arta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:59 am 

I tried a different hard drive and the system will boot to completion. I can put the original drives in a linux machine and read the data. Are there perhaps some hardware limitations on the size of hard drives a motherboard will recognize outside of the bios limitations which do not come into play. The original drives are 160 Gb.

I haven't searched the forum for this but is there a way to burn a bootable CD with NASlite so I don't have to use floppies?

arta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:33 am 

arta:

Depending on the size of the HDD that is not being recognized ... a file system check can take a long time (several hours to half a day or longer). Try booting again and letting it just sit there doing the check. The HDD not being recognized may have not unmounted cleanly (and even though you can see it under Linux). If you have them ... look at HDD activity lights to verify NL is doing a file check.

I don't have specifics at my finger tips ... but I believe there are forum posts showing a (complex) set of steps to boot from HDD or CF card, but I'm not sure if this will work with the free version. If you like what NL can do I would recommend purchasing the USB version of 2.0x. (Your mother board, if it does not boot USB may still need a floppy disk to "kick-start" the USB boot process.)

:) Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:52 pm 

Thanks Georg
You are right the HD light is busily flashing. I just never occured to me it would do a file check although every OS I use does when there is a bad shutdown. As far as the bootable CD I found a thread on this forum discussing that and just to keep it simple I'll just buy the CD version from Server Elements.

Again thanks for the help

arta