NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:30 am 

I finally got my server setup and connected to my network. The first time I booted the server it took many minutes for the drives to be accessible, I hope this is not the case every time I shutdown the server (as it is not always running as it is very loud).

In any case, with my 500 GB of storage at my fingertips, I thought it was time I actually backed up my data. I ran Backup on my Win2000 PC and successfully backed a group of my data directories.

Next I decided to backup my photos. Once again I set the program to create a backup file on the server and went to bed. The next morning I had a 2 GB file but also an error message:

Error: The device reported an error on a request to write data to media.
Error reported: Unknown error.

I tried again, and the same result, a 2 GB backup file and the same error message.

I could not locate anything with Google. While I assume that this is an issue with MS Backup, and not NASLite, I thought I would ask if anyone has run into this issue, and if a solution is available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:55 am 

Hi Thresher,

There is a file size limit with Naslite, this is due to the OS size fitting on the floppy disk. The later versions i.e. Nalite+ and V2 dont have this limitation.

you could try other backup programs that copy the files instead of writing one massive file.

Always ensure you powerdown the server correctly, if you just press the power button it will perform a disk check on reboot and this can take a little time, later versions will perfrom a shutdown if the MB supports it.

Also if you do have large files you can always split these and store them on the server.

if you like Naslite I suggest to download the manuals on the later versions and see what they offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:39 am 

Thanks for the reply Gaiden.

I know I read about the file size limit, but I thought it was 4 GB?

I am very much interested in upgrading from the free version of NASLite, but my server box does not have enough RAM in it to run v2, and I am not sure if it is worth paying for an old version, in v1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:43 am 

How much ram have you got?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:10 am 

I think it's got 32 MB of RAM! Don't laugh, it was a lot when I bought it many years ago! The CPU is an AMD K6-233 MHz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:05 am 

That sort of kit was cutting edge many years ago. i wish I had a machine of the era, to test with, might have to look for one.

naslite v2
Extremely compact in size (Runs in an 8MB RAM Disk)

if you had massive hd's you might encounter problems with the ram.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:59 am 

I have a 386 in my storage locker if you are interested! :lol:

As for NASLite 2, I was going by the system requirements which indicate a minimum of 64 MB of RAM. I will hit up some of my IT friends and see if anyone has some old RAM which will fit my K6 server.

I was hoping to upgrade to v2 when I started playing around with NASLite, but I did not check out the requirements until recently. If I cannot get more RAM, maybe I will try v1.

As for massive HDDs, my server has 2 Western Digital 250 GB drives and an old 6 GB Fujitsu.