NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:04 pm 

Maybe inexperienced developers. Maybe someone else will pick it up and make it a decent program. Anyhow for $30 my money is on Naslite. I did run Acronis today and to my liking it backed up 24gig in about 34min. A lot faster then Norton Ghost. I will continue to work on testing. Demension did you notice what I said about the difference between Lan and crossover cable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:50 pm 

I did catch that. A gigabit switch sure pays off if you think about it. :wink:

It's a shame that you are planning to take the benchmarks offline in a week. Server Elements should probably think about hosting those. I think it is good for people to see for what they are paying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:21 pm 

I will probably leave them up for a month or more so I can do some gigabyte marks also to show the benefits of upgrading to gig. It would be beneficial to there business certainly since I'm just someone out here testing there software looking for the best out there.

Post subject: Naslite vs. freenas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:33 pm 

I read this thread with some interest since i'm just now starting out with nas and the first nas i tried is Naslite nfsg version 1.x. But after reading the freenas bashing on here i went over and downloaded Freenas .68 and installed it to hard drive since so far my legacy Pentium 3 nas machines don't boot to usb.

Earlier in this thread johnqh said he'd just tried freenas and that "Actually, I am quite impressed by it." Me too, as far as that goes, likewise with Naslite. What i don't get is bashing an open source solution as in bashing freenas. That doesn't sell any linux to me, benchmarks or not. If benchmarks are the only issue maybe i would have been running Amd's instead of Intel's (or until recently that is)

And since i read through the freenas forums before installing it, it's true a look at the subject lines looks horrible but if you read the threads many of them were about pilot error that was quickly corrected and i'd have to give the freenas admins credit for taking what looks like a lot of time to deal with them. Perhaps raid issues are an exception but for the moment i'm not worried about raid and there seem to be some raid issues here too. And maybe i was lucky to have missed some of the earlier freenas versions. I don't have to answer to clients so that's not an issue to me.

As for if it cost you it must be better, it looks like we should all be switching to Microsoft. One reason i switched to linux in the first place is the issue of 'seat licenses' for the same product including all the windows software vendors that went with that following microsoft's lead. So yes, cost is an issue, and i already posted today in 1plus3's thread about why should he be stuck if the Naslite Usb v 2.3 he purchased isn't going to work and then he has to pay $50 all up to end up with 2.3 working since he also has to purchase the cd version now, and if i ordered it and i was looking at it before his post along with some others, i could easily end up in his shoes.

I should preface all this by saying several of my favorite linux distros include those that have a very small development team including one led by one main developer so it's impressive what tony and ralph have done and obviously from their announcements they are going at it as hard as they can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:01 am 

I don't have a heck of a lot of experience with either Naslite or Freenas however I did do extensive benchmarking and Naslite, with the lower end machine, simply outperformed freenas hands down. I do not sell this product nor do I have anything to do with Freenas. Issues I have encountered are setup and there not human error, it's the software. It tells you to do one thing then tells you to do something else then tells you what you had just done needs to be undone to complete what you are now trying to do and if your confused about now that is how confused I was. Funny thing was it worked after all that. It worked OK and it's something to keep a close eye on but for my big $30 I will go with what is proven and on the mark with what it says it will do. If it has a few bugs it makes you wonder what other bugs are also in there. I do have one setup for testing though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:29 am 

Your benchmarking service was obviously appreciated Kodiak. I didn't have any more trouble setting up and running freenas .68 than i did Naslite v 1.x. Being new at nas i found more trouble in getting all the various linux distros i use to work using nsfg nas, whether it is Naslite or freenas, with a few that quickly worked out and with some it's going to be a while. There's sort of a vapor trail in between the nas pdf's and some of the distros unless you are already expert with some of this. I'm referring to the nas client side not the nas server side of things, i'm still reading.. And btw, benchmarks are a bad thing, lol, as in whatever you just got, the newer or better one has better benchmarks!

About the price aspect, looks like Naslite is under-priced for those citing 'clients' and all that or enterprise use But for me, just the smell of 'seat licenses' or duplicate prices for the same basic product or the same exact product for a home user like me is enough to send me looking for something else not that i'm not still considering a Naslite upgrade. .

What's $30 worth to me? Well i just got a used Intel Dual Core 520 (2.8mhz) for $30.99 off ebay auction and it's talking to you now. Anybody have a 'used' copy of version 2.3 CD version (just kidding)....:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:54 am 

Um linwing,

I think you just proved my point. Some people simply are not interested in a NAS solution that will put their mind at ease and keep their data safe. Rather, they want to run something they got for free and argue how cool it is just because it didn't cost anything.

Freenas is not Linux but Freebsd. Also, what is this nsfg nas you speak of?

You see, it's the details that make the difference. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:07 am 

If you notice i do edit my posts dimension. Quit sounding like my ex, she is a unix programmer. I hate it you found my typo before i did re "nsfg"...:) I have no beef with you either, i just wish you were next door and then the rest of my linux distros would be up with my nas. Yes i realize freenas is not linux, that's why i edited my saying why bash an open source solution rather than when i first said an open source distro or linux distro.

I also appreciate loyalty and pride to something but i like to see it stop short of being all encompassing. Yes i still downloaded and installed Suse 10.2 despite all the Novell/Microsoft hullabaloo, yes i successfully installed and kept Slackware for a while but i went on to other distros. Ubuntu is on top of the distro rankings and i use it but no it's not my favorite. Yes, i've paid for a few linux distros, no i haven't paid for any 'duplicates' or 'seat licenses.' Yes if i were an enterprise user i would.

And my data is 'safe' since i keep it on about a half dozen hard drives in a drawer marked 'don't touch' (you know like all those wonderul pics of my ex, well, two of them by now, tell me how much i should be spending on computer stuff)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:33 am 

Just having some fun with'ya :lol:

I experiment with different distros too, but as far as dropping a bunch of drives on a network, the server elements thingies sure kick but.

As far as Freenas, i have nothing against it. Any effort is a good effort as long as it's kept in prospective. A NAS mist provide a given QOS. Freenas provides none. So, in past posts I may have shown some of my frustration with people that try to make a case for using it as a NAS. It's far from ready for that responsibility.

That's all :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:45 am 

Likewise dimension. After all, i came on here a couple of days ago, posted my question about mounting Naslite and you were the one that gave me an answer in a few minutes and i was off and running. I don't forget that quickly. Forums make a difference in choices, some of my favorites reflect that. From that experience i also appreciate those who take the time on forums to help out us newbs to a new concept, that's how i learned as much as i know about linux so far.

And i assure you that it's clear that some of you have the experience to be better judges about all this than i, except for some of the issues i felt worth bringing up, and on those, it's each to his/her own choices. I wondered if i should post what i thought on this thread, and being me i did. Thanks for listening.

(btw it's perspective, not prospective, you know...that thing you said about 'details'...touche!...:) I can write better than i can code or maybe i write instead of code!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:49 am 

If your a home user just looking to play around and you have other backups of your data is one thing but if your going to trust this server to a business that requires a safe backup solution of all there company data is another. I was trying to set up linux as a server solution when I found Naslite and if not for Naslite vs Freenas I would not of found Freenas. I tried both and being Linux dumb found Naslites setup to be simple and the web based GUI to be simple and on the other hand freenas looked simple but it complicated itself by not working properly by having you undo things that said needed to be done as the next step. Users and groups in freenas just doesn't work. Thats what I want to see, security, and either will sell like hotcakes. Hard to sell anything to a business that has no security at all. Try to sell a car with no door locks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm 

About that Kodiak, i discovered Naslite by accident recently while looking for something else. I landed on this discussion on a forum where this guy says something about using something he'd heard of called Naslite to set up a file server. And the guys on the thread said what's that, nah, you can't do that you've got to go the whole route pick a linux distro and set up a real server so get to work on that.

And from that i googled what's Naslite and for sure Naslite is a cool solutiion. I liked the embedded os concept not unlike my IPCOP which was my first at something like that. I learned about Freenas from this thread. I also checked out Open Filer but it's beyond anything i need. But the guys in that forum just brushed the guy off, he said he'd just heard of Naslite and they didn't seem to know what it is.

Post subject: Re: Naslite vs. freenas
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:32 pm 

linwing wrote:
btw it's perspective, not prospective, you know...that thing you said about 'details'...touche!...:))

Darn! Can't blame that one on spell check! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:54 pm 

Linwing you found Naslite and Freenas similar to how I found them and I'm actually glad I found both and I/m taking a hard look at both. I will continue to test both. I would like to test them also in disaster situations. One in recovering data back to a pc that has had a crash and the other when itself has a disaster such as having to instal the drive into another pc because mobo failure. One thing I'm interested in knowing is how can I put the Nas disk into a windows xp box and get at the data? I know nothing of Linux.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:29 pm 

Yeah Kodiak, me too, i'm glad i happened across the server thread and maybe if the guys on the forum hadn't blown off the guy mentioning naslite with the you've got to set up a server from a distro, i may not have googled Naslite but it sounded like the guy who asked was on to something good since i'm not ready to run a distro server yet or particuarly need to. The embedded file server os is cool.

Up until recently i ran fairly tight boxes and stayed away from server concepts since i didn't want to open any unnecessary doors. But the way these two run on the subnet makes it interesting. I'm also trying Clark Connect but the configuration is taking me a while, not sure about it yet (edit, did get it working, interesting but would be like comparing apples and oranges re freenas and naslite since they are more specialized for just what you need and nothing else. I don't need a mail server, apache and all that. So these two solutions were what i was looking for, i just didn't know they existed.

Speaking of embedded os's, i didn't have to change anything on my ipcop firewall/router running the red and green network, just added either naslite or freenas to the subnet and they run through ipcop just like the rest of my lan pc's with no changes, which is nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next