NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Acronis Issue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:17 pm 

I'm very interested in this product for my business and using it to install inexpensive servers for my clients. I ran into a problem with Acronis 9.0. I run a backup and it puts in 4 files, 3 are 0 bites in size and 1 is only a little over 175Mb and none of them will work to restore anything. Is this an issue with this product and if so does Ghost work the same way as well. This pc is running winxp pro with SP2 and all updates on all hardware. I'm using the floppy Naslite 1x.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:56 am 

Is there any imaging software that will work with Naslite that works as well as ghost and acronis? Does Naslite 2 overcome these problems or is Naslite more for just the saving of files rather then images? Another question would be that if for some reason you need to pull the drives could you set them as a slave drive and see the contents on a windows box or put into a enclosure and seen? If not can it be put into another naslite box and started right up? My concern is the loss of data here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:34 am 

The disks use a standard Linux format, you can pull them from a failed NASLite box and put them in another NASLite box and get the data off.

If you add them to a Windows box they will not be accessible, although I believe there are utilities/drivers that allow Windows access to Linux format disks which would make this possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:03 pm 

I seen where someone used acronis to do imaging except he had to set file sizes at 4gb but I have had no luck with this, is there anything else other then sync programs. Imaging is a huge part of having a backup program at a business. Always sync may work about the best for this since it monitors files for changes and backs them up at specified intervals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:04 pm 

I use True Image Backup. Save it to NASLite+ it works super good. I can mount it as a drive image and I have seen nothing wrong. It's just one big image. About 170GB back up of the 320GB hard drive. It's mounted from NASLite+ I have. Works real good. I guess save it as one big file will help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:55 pm 

So you create an image then transfer it to the naslite+ or are you running a backup directly to the NAS? I was trying to backup 14gig and it made 4 files, 3 or which were 0kbs and one of 330mb which you could not mount at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:09 pm 

I use true image 9 with NASLite 2 and backup straight to the NAS without problems. I have a job scheduled to run every Monday am. I do noth think any of my backups are over 4GB though, I will check. I have also restored PCs from the NASLite without problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:12 pm 

I just tried a 1.5gig backup to Naslite+ with Acronis 9.0 and after it won't mount and is worthless. I even tried copying it back to my xp box and mount it and it wouldn't mount. I looked through the documentation on both Naslite+ and Naslite2 and I see no information on this. Maybe someone can join this thread here and let us know whether this is suppose to work or not. Would be nice to know so I can decide whether to buy Naslite2 or not. Like I said before, imaging is a huge part of why I would buy this. I would have to be able to image to it. BTW, I can image to anything else just not the Naslite+ box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

Is the problem you are having with Acronis 9.0 only? Are you reading and writing to/from NASLite without a problem from anywhere else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:15 pm 

I just checked my setup. True Image 9.0 latest build, NASLite 2

1. Weekly backup of files and folders directly to NASLite, image is >5 GB.
It works fine.

2. I am able to mount my backup drive images from the NAS without problems. Some of the images are >4GB.

Not sure why it is not working for you unless ver 2 of NASlite is the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:47 pm 

Using Karens Power tools I can copy whole drives over with no problem. I also tried to use Ghost 9.0 and it errored out after the first gig or so. I really like this setup and will use it extensively to setup other businesses if I can get it to work. I may just be doing something wrong. I can run images to anything else. I have an ADS Nas drive that I can image to, a WinXp Pro box I use as a server also I can image to and 2 other XP pro boxes with no problem. I set the Naslite box up with the cd and made a floppy with it then pulled the cd out and only run off the floppy now, is this correct. I seen somewhere that you have to have both the cd and the floppy in at the same time is this where I'm going wrong? Of course I set the ip, drive is set up and all that. I can access it and transfer data back and forth but just cannot image. If it's possible that Nas 2 will fix this I have no problem getting the new version as it looks more robust anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:59 pm 

jmiliz wrote:
I just checked my setup. True Image 9.0 latest build, NASLite 2

1. Weekly backup of files and folders directly to NASLite, image is >5 GB.
It works fine.

2. I am able to mount my backup drive images from the NAS without problems. Some of the images are >4GB.

Not sure why it is not working for you unless ver 2 of NASlite is the difference.

Could possibly be so I will wait for word from Tony there and may just go ahead and get the Nas 2 version and give it a go. I think this will be a very nice tool. My concerns are this:

1. First and foremost I must be able to image to it and it all work.

2. Be able to recover all data if this box fails and drives have to be pulled and put into another box with different hardware.

Everything else is great and I would like to say, AWESOME JOB, to the developers of this tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:29 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure why you are experiencing this problem. In theory, both full versions of NASLite+ and NASLite-2 should handle the imaging of a drive. The only thing I can think of is hardware or network problems. One thing I'd look at is RAM. Replace the RAM and try again. I've imaged 10G+ drives using Ghost with NASLite+. What you are doing should work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:28 am 

This particular pc was in service for quite some time with no issues however there is always that possibility. I will run all the memory test on it to see if that is possible. Thanks Tony. I'm sure we will get to the bottom of the issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:46 pm 

In hopes this would be the cure I went ahead and purchased Naslite 2 and after a bit of work got it all installed and I still can't image to it. Actually it will image but the image will not plug in. Memory is fine and this pc actually was my win2000 server and worked flawlessly. I was looking for something to set up for businesses on a budget. I will try it on a smaller pc I have abd see if it will work on it. Seems to be a limited program so far.