NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:11 pm 

:cry:

Can you help me? I cannot figure out how to burn the ISO file into a CD. I created a [data] CD with the ISO sitting on it, but that's a lot different than having the ISO file expand into a CD image, right??

I'm using ahead/Nero software. I have two versions: one that is really current but it looks like it only supports DVD burning (not CD burning) andone that I used to use for burning CDs that I just re-installed for this purpose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:44 pm 

you are kidding right? NERO does have pretty complete help file that has details on how to do that.

In the NERO pulldown menu, select RECORDER then BURN IMAGE. Follow the onscreen instructions and you should be set. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:35 pm 

I think it may be easier for me to create a DVD. If the shell that I'm turning into a NAS has a DVD reader (which it does), can I have the NAS software on a DVD instead of a CD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:41 pm 

WHY?

you can boot a CD in a DVD drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:55 pm 

I cannot get a CD burned. I know you think this is easy, but continue to help me (I may still end up being an idiot, but my heart's in the right place).

-- Nero 5 --

Nero 5 (2001) supports CD burning (which is all I need). The menus are different than what you describe, but I got the general jist of what you were saying, so I tried:
1. File->Burn
2. browsed to the ISO file
3. tried to burn

But it complains that there are no devices available (even though I have two writable opticals: one with a DVD in it and one with a CD in it).

I bounced the box and tried again. This time, I saw an error message when I started Nero 5:
Under Windows NT4/2000 burn rights are required by Nero
to access cd recorders and cdrom/dvd-rom drives.
Please ask your sys adm...

I'm running WinXP. Maybe Nero 5 is too old and confused.

-- Newer Nero DVD Burner --

I recently bought a new DVD burner and some form of Nero software came with it, but it only supports DVDs. ALSO, it seems to have been screwed up by me installing Nero 5 (off an old CD).

I'm going to:
1. uninstall the new DVD/Nero drivers
2. re-install the new DVD/Nero drivers
3. see if the new DVD burner will accept an ISO image (does that even apply to a DVD?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:08 pm 

FYI: I could not re-install the new drivers without removing the old Nero 5 software. The newer installer insisted on it.

I'm currently having a lot of trouble removing the old Nero 5 software. Clearly there is some overlap between these versions and the older installer was too dumb to prevent me from installing on top of the newer software. As a result, I'm in driver/DLL hell.

I also tried a non-Nero burner, thinking I could take a fresh start. I downloaded something that had good ratings on CNet/download.com called UltraISO.

UltraISO's process for burning a CD off an ISO is wicked easy, but when it comes to finding a device, it has the same problem as Nero. I have managed to kill my PC's ability to see the two burners that I have (they still work as CD readers, just not as burners).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:09 pm 

Quote:
I'm going to:
1. uninstall the new DVD/Nero drivers
2. re-install the new DVD/Nero drivers
3. see if the new DVD burner will accept an ISO image (does that even apply to a DVD?)

Sounds like a plan. I'd uninstall both versions of NERO prior to installing a fresh version of the latest you have. Make sure you reboot befor installing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:46 pm 

Incredible. Removing Nero 5 was worse than trying to separate IE from the operating system.

The uninstaller (from add/remove programs) kept failing.

I resorted to a full C: drive scan and regedit scan for "Nero" and manually deleted every folder and reg key that was related.

Now I am finally [re]installing the new Nero software. I must have deleted "enough" of it, since the new installer did NOT complain that I already had a version of Nero on the box (whew).

Wait a minute...

The installer just failed. It says it cannot find NMSMediaServer.dll and to reboot and try again (huh? when does rebooting creating dlls?). What the hell.. I'll try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:52 pm 

After reboot, I thought I would try something radical. Without re-installing ANY Nero software, I fired up the application I downloaded from CNet. I totally expected it to complain about drivers or not being able to see the burners.

Not only did it see them, but in 2 minutes it created the CD for me.

I'm FINALLY staring at the new NAS box on a CRT, beginning the setup process.

I cannot say that I'm a big fan of Nero anymore.

PROBLEM SOLVED by brute force.

Thanks for the support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:21 am 

jkuefler:

This has nothing to do with NASLite ... but after reading about all your troubles ... I am tempted to suggest that you re-install WinXP on your troublesome PC. The decision to do so, of course, depends on whether you have all the software (XP or recover CD, plus applications) and drivers, etc.

:) Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:11 am 

Try using magiciso to burn iso image to CD or DVD. It works very well to me.
http://www.magiciso.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:03 am 

Hi,
You can also try ISO-burner tool. It is completely free and extremely easy to use. It never failed me before so you might find it really useful
http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm