NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:14 pm 

I've been running a NAS server quite happily for months, until the cpu fan died recently and apparently took the cpu with it. I've replaced both, but when I reboot, the system 'hangs' at the 'Disk 1 - Found partition' message. It's been that way for less than an hour, but no messsages.

1) Is it running an fsck or something without telling me?
2) I can't telnet to it, or hit it from my browser. Is that a problem or is it not going to be available untit the filesystems are mounted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:34 pm 

often this is mistaken as a hang. its checking the filesystem and depending on the size of the disks can take a while.

usually you can hear some disk activity, or lights flashing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:34 pm 

gaiden wrote:
often this is mistaken as a hang. its checking the filesystem and depending on the size of the disks can take a while.

usually you can hear some disk activity, or lights flashing.

not hearing anything, but should I be able to view the logs to see where it stands? Is the network up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:20 am 
Site Admin

IDE is CPU-driven and as such can get messy in the event of a processor failure. The good thing is that on reboot, the OS is clean and should perform as expected.

With a 200G drive, time can vary a lot based on number of files, CPU speed and available RAM, however the 16 hours you are describing (in email) is excessive. If the HD LED is on, then the system is still checking, or perhaps stuck checking. It is also possible that the board logic is damaged as well, but that is less likely.

One thing you can do is boot a live distro (Knopix, Slax, Ubuntu, etc.) and check the drives manually. That will give you the feedback you are looking for. NASLite is incapable of launching services until the drives are properly mounted and the services properly configured per the available storage resources.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:41 am 

Tony wrote:
IDE is CPU-driven and as such can get messy in the event of a processor failure. The good thing is that on reboot, the OS is clean and should perform as expected.

With a 200G drive, time can vary a lot based on number of files, CPU speed and available RAM, however the 16 hours you are describing (in email) is excessive. If the HD LED is on, then the system is still checking, or perhaps stuck checking. It is also possible that the board logic is damaged as well, but that is less likely.

One thing you can do is boot a live distro (Knopix, Slax, Ubuntu, etc.) and check the drives manually. That will give you the feedback you are looking for. NASLite is incapable of launching services until the drives are properly mounted and the services properly configured per the available storage resources.

Hope that helps.

Tony,

Thanks. That helps a lot - knew I could count on you. Does your last sentence answer the question about telnet not being available? In other words, are the logs not reachable until the filesystems are mounted?

I just got a copy of RIPLinux - I'll try that and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:26 pm 

foxtrot wrote:
Tony wrote:

Hope that helps.

Tony,

Thanks. That helps a lot - knew I could count on you. Does your last sentence answer the question about telnet not being available? In other words, are the logs not reachable until the filesystems are mounted?

I just got a copy of RIPLinux - I'll try that and see.

UPDATE - turned out the IDE channel was hosed and would only support 1 drive. Never seen that before. Swapped out the MB for a slower one that really should have been my choice from the start and all is well.

No drive errors - e2fsck ran great and fast under RIPLinux - highly recommend it.