NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:27 am 

Is there any way to stop the NASLite+ from becoming the master browser?
I don't have a DC and the main server which is usually the MB does reboot twice a week, but once its back online it became the master browser. Since I've had the NASLite this doesn't work any more, which also stuffs up people trying to browse our network via VPN.
Any ideas on what I could try or do?
Thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:29 pm 

its a config issue with the smb.conf file... unless you know how to dismantle the NASLIte+ ISO/image and recreate it, its a job for the devs.. Ralph and Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:02 pm 

Glo8al wrote:
Is there any way to stop the NASLite+ from becoming the master browser?
I don't have a DC and the main server which is usually the MB does reboot twice a week, but once its back online it became the master browser. Since I've had the NASLite this doesn't work any more, which also stuffs up people trying to browse our network via VPN.
Any ideas on what I could try or do?
Thx

I'm having the same problem. The NASLite+ box is preventing being able to browse the network from the WinXP SP2 PC's connected to it.

There are two odd things about it, however:

1. It doesn't matter how I have the browser settings on the WinXP boxes. I can turn the computer browser service completely off on all of the other systems on the network, leave them all set on auto, or set one to force master browser -- doesn't matter. NASLite+ hangs the ability to browse the network even if it is the ONLY system on the network that is trying to be master browser.

2. It doesn't happen immediately. I can bring up the network (order doesn't seem to matter -- i.e. NASLite first, or WinXP clients first). All will be fine for a few hours (network browsable), then at some seemingly random point the ability to browse will disappear and stay gone until I shutdown the NASLite box. At that point (assuming that computer browser is running on one or more of the WinXP boxes), the network will be browsable again.

The symptom is not usually a "Workgroup not accessible" error like you get when there is no master browser. Instead, browsing the workgroup just results in a blank window.

It's almost as if NASLite+ is forcing master browser over any other computers on the network (which is OK in my case), but then at some point losing the table and not returning anything. But since it insists on being master browser, no other PC can take over the task.

I'm convinced that something isn't working right in NASLite's behaviour with regards to network master browser, but I'm not enough of an expert in this area to figure it out.

On a tangential note -- does anyone know of a Windows-based tool for diagnosing network browser settings (e.g. which computer is current acting as master browser) on a peer-to-peer workgroup network? The only ones that I've been able to find (MS browstat and browcon) appear to only work on PDC setups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:48 pm 

Any progress on this? I'm also experiencing intermittent problems due to this issue. About twice a month when I try to browse the network I get an empty workgroup. I know when the problems arises because it really confuses SageTV which has all of its recordings stored on the NAS.

Rebooting NASLite+ and Sage solves the problem but that is really not the answer.

Any pointers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:42 pm 

Well, I'm still getting this problem about once every two weeks. How do I file an official bug report?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:25 am 

Any resolution on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:37 am 

I have not found one. The best work-around I could come up with was to reboot the NASLite+ machine daily. It's my only complaint with NASLite+.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:24 pm 

I purchased a Western Digital Netcenter NAS and have the same issues with Master browser. If I power-up the PC's on my network first, then boot the Netcenter I can see all of them displayed in my workgroup. If I leave the Netcenter on and reboot my PC I can only see the WD-Netcenter in the workgroup. I stilll have access to the PC's if I seach for them using their IP address. They just simply don't display in the workgroup. I must power down everything and reboot the PC's first in order to see everything in the workgroup.

I'm stumped and don't have a workaround for this issue. :(

If someone figures this out I'd appreciate it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:48 am 

Having the same problem. I found this out by looking at the NMB log and saw that:

# [2007/02/01 17:57:09, 0] nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_local_master_announce(309)
# process_local_master_announce: Server PENGUINBEACH at IP 192.168.1.109 is announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup MDKGROUP and we think we are master. Forcing election.
# [2007/02/01 17:57:09, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(155)
# *****
#
# Samba name server TOSHIBA has stopped being a local master browser for workgroup MDKGROUP on subnet 192.168.1.110
#
# *****
# [2007/02/01 17:57:26, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(405)
# *****
#
# Samba name server TOSHIBA i

PenguinBeach is my Linux box which is running Ubuntu 6.06. I kinda hate messing with the SMB settings on that box as it has finally learned to see my network, but I guess I'll give it a try.

I used to be able to see both the Toshiba (the NASLite+ box) and PenguinBeach through Windows Explorer. They both disappeared a couple of weeks ago and this seems to explain why. I can reboot both and that will be a patch for a few days ... but there's got to be a better way.