NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:45 pm 

I've been experimenting with NASLite, while waiting for version 2 of NASLite+ to be released.

I've run into something that I am not sure about.

I moved a large collection of ISO files to the NASLite server to regain space from my local hard drives.

Lately I have noticed that when I burn a CD from the files located on the NASLite Server, the discs burn OK, but are plaqued with errors, and are frequently non-functional. Trying to use them results in missing or corrupted file messages.

Copies of the same files stored on local hard drives, ie never transferred to the NASLite server, seem to burn OK.

Has anyone else experienced this type of data corruption?

Being able to store ISO files is one of the two key reasons I would want to do a permanent NASLite setup. (the other being streaming media files, which don't seem to have this type of problem)

davej45

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:10 pm 
Hi davej45,

How big are these ISO images? over 4GB?

When you burn these images what errors are you getting? burning errors? application errors, or unreadable?

I have a number of iso images on my nas and always copy to my second hard drive for burning on my local machine.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:48 pm 

You may also have a problem where the CD is burning the data faster than it can be transferred over your network. This would cause data underrun problems.

As eneng says, the best bet is to temporarily copy the ISO to your local hard drive and burn the CD from that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:36 pm 

Depending on your network configuration, you could set the ports between your NAS box and the Workstation to a dedicaed speed (i.e. 100mb switched). This way you can try to gain a level of cconsistency over your network speed.

Also you could run a network montor (i.e. Etherreal, QCheck) to look at the link quality and speed. I'm also making the assumtion yo uaren't trying to do this over Wireless.

T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:55 pm 

Thanks for the tips guys, to answer your questions:

CD burner programs (I use a couple of different ones) all have protection against data under run. Buffers all report full and never any actual 'burn' errors. I am fairly confident that this is not a failure of the network to deliver the data fast enough, since I have successfully streamed five simultaneous video streams to five different computers without a single stall in the feeds.

None of the ISO files I am having problems with are over 650-700Mb in size.

The problems are that files files burned onto the disc are corrupted to the point that they are not found. Data files can't be read, application files don't execute properly, across a wide variety of applications discs when they are burned from the NasLite server to a local burner.

I'll try the suggestion of making a temporary copy to the local hard drive for burning purposes and see if that helps. Failing that being the solution, I suppose I will have to extract the ISO's from the original discs once again, and then archive them in a different fashion. In a worst case scenario I could burn the ISO's to a DVD data disc and just keep them permanently mounted in a non-NasLite (win2K) server that I also have on the network.

DaveJ45