NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:39 pm 

Please excuse a few questions from a guy who has been involved with small computers for many years, but just discovered NASLITE.

It is one thing to tell a techie to TELNET into a server by IP and issue a shutdown command, wait for confirmation, and then power down the PC. It is quite another to expect an office worker to do that.

Is there any automated way to shutdown a NASLITE file server from a connected PC? Some command or series of commands that can be tied to a clickable button that initiates the shutdown?

And is there any way with an ATX system for the NASLITE server to shut down the hardware when the software shutdown is done? Like Windows has done since Win95?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:51 pm 

Telnet or typing directly on the NASLite box keyboard are the only currently supported methods to shut down.

NASLite is very stable, so you could just leave it on 24/7 without issues.

I don't know what an ATX system is, so I can't answer that part of your question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:26 pm 

Thanks for your reply.

Computers older than the late 1990's or so used what is called the AT power supply. It had a manual on-off switch. The switch actually turned the AC power to the power supply on or off.

Most all PC's since that time have used the ATX power supply. It still has a front panel button, but the button is just a momentary contact switch. Pushing the switch sends a low voltage signal to the motherboard and from there to the power supply to turn on. Later, at shutdown, the last act of the Windows software is to tell the motherboard to tell the power supply to turn off.

The point is that the NASLITE software COULD be arranged to completely shut down the computer when the software shuts down. Or it could leave the computer on, requiring the human to push the button again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:30 pm 

Not sure about full shutdown with power turning off as I have only run NASlite on an older computer that does not support that.

I remember reading somewhere on the forums probably atleast 6 months ago about writing a script for software shutdown.

I believe the whole script was there. Basically the script does each step in the shutdown procedure but it is much easier to just run one script then to actually do each step.

Since I assume you are thinking about an office implementation you maybe able to set up a scheduled task on a pc to shut the server down the server on a friday 5pm or whenever you wanted.

I never messed around with scheduled tasks in windows but you probably could set it up to run a script.

This will atleast take care of the software end, but may still need to worry about powering it off. If hardware powering down is not currently supported I would be very suprised if it wasn't in the upcoming 2.0 release

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:54 pm 

Also something that just came to mind is that you may have a ups around, or can buy a cheap on.

Basically you can connect to server to the batter backup ports of the ups. Really does not matter the size, as long as it supoort communicating with computers. Basically you could probably make another script or call a command that would shutdown the ups. This way all you need to do is setup a scheduled task say 5 minutes after the software shutdown. This would give plenty of time for the actually software shutdown. This is obviously not as clean or nice as just running the one script, but it still should get the job done, and does not depend on a person remembering to do so.

Also if you sometimes can expirence power outages may be a good idea to have the computer that callls the shutdown scripts also on a ups. So when power goes out software shutdown is called then power shutdown on server , then power shutdown on that pc.

So basically only need one person in office to turn on server monday morning or whenever you needed.

Just somethings to think about

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:34 am 

Hi animatt,

read here, it works for me perfect.

http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=151&highlight=&sid=0f46c16d74026136a0cad1db16feafbd

schmicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:09 am 

thank you. this is the post i was thinking about.

Does tis script turn power off on newer machines? My machine is old enough where power supply does not support it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:01 pm 

I don't know, because the computer I use is an old ATX. No Powerdown.

If you shutdown with the menu from NASLite or if you use the script, it is the same. You can test it with your computer.

schmicki

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:59 pm 

Hello schmicki,

Thanks for posting the link to that script. Do I save the script as a .bat file? Some further direction on that would be great.

If so I can then put it on the desktop and just double click it to power down the NAS. This would be a real bonus as my kids use the nas as well (13 year old boy who has become an overnight experty on all things computerish) so being able to tell him to just click an icon is much safer than getting him to telnet to the box and navigate the menu to powerdown. I wouldnt put it past him to be overly curious and see what all the other options in the menu do and inadvertantly reconfigure the hardrives....ouch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:49 pm 

Yeah mine is to old as well was just curious if naslite supported fully shutting down.

I do believe it is just a simple .bat file for the script. Been awhile since I have actually used the script. The computer the script was on was formatted, and I have not been running naslite for some time now. 4 hard drives is simply not enough well maybe if I got 500gig drives, but they are way to expensive. Just waiting for the pci card support to add more ide channels and I will be switching back to naslite. I really enjoy the simplicity of naslite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:41 am 

Hi Adrian,

it's a simple txt-file

There is an example in the zip-file.

I use the example posted in the Link, see above.

schmicki