NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:43 am 

I'm in search for a new RAID controller card that support S.M.A.R.T and have minimum 4 SATA ports for NL.

Any recommendation that works well with NL?

Thanks
Soren

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:42 pm 

OK I bought the LSI SAS 9211-8i HBA using ASUS P5QL-EM motherboard. It doesn't boot when installed screen is dead, I guess this can be a motherboard problem. Any idea what I can do? I have contacted LSI to see what they have to say…

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:09 pm 

Pull the card and reboot the machine.

If it still doesn't boot then its the MB.

Make sure that the processor is properly installed, memory seated properly, etc.

very little info to go on so that is my starting advice.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:27 pm 

LSI says it is a MB problem, but I could try to upgrade the firmware to see if it works….

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:19 pm 

You give us nothing to work from so I suspect that I would try and update the BIOS and the firmware on the card.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:07 pm 

Yes Mike, sorry for the lack of info. I got a detailed answer from LSI on how to update the driver as a little chance but they told me that this particular MB was not in the supported list (should have checked this better) so I might be out of luck :(

Getting a new MB I have to get new processor and memory as well = more money… :(

Thanks

Ohh forgot to tell that I running with this MB and all is fine except that my older Adaptec contollercard died on me so I was looking for a replacement. When the LSI card is connected all is dead but when removing the LSI card everything is fine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:10 pm 

I have had a hell of a time with my LSI FC-AL card and the on board LSI SCSI controller working and booting properly. Got it to work by moving it around on the boards PCIx slots and and IRQ steering. PITA all in all but it worked great when I was done. This was on my desktop machine. For my server I am going to be getting a 16 port SAS RAID card since the old RAID card don't see the WD Red drives past the 750GB mark. Another PITA.

If you are going to be going RAID an a big scale then server hardware is a good idea. It is not expensive at all if you don't chase the latest hardware. I have a total of only about $900.00 into a 16 drive bay case with triple redundant 450W power supplies, an Intel S5000 motherboard, dual quad core 3GHz Xeon processors and 32GB of FB DDR2 memory. It runs like a raped ape on a rip and trans code of a blue ray.

You can get far more reasonable deals if your needs are a little more mundane in the form of used servers from Rackables, HP, Dell, etc. I have had good luck with them all though I prefer the Rackables since they are based on commodity hardware and are simple to work on and use. Nothing special about them compared to the likes of say the HP or Dell with custom boards, BIOS, and admin issues. The HP servers are built really well though. Always enjoyed un-boxing and looking through them pursuant to racking them for the customers.

Considering LSI, Areca, and Adaptec for the latest RAID cards, will have to have a look at reviews myself.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:29 pm 

Mike, thanks for the info.

Your machine must sound like a jet machine no?
This is the issue I have with servers they have no respect to sound. I have a Dell Poweredge server and I had to put it in my garage because you could not have it on other place, it also heated up my garage so no need for other heating system (not using it anymore).

I prefer much more a low noise solution with low energy output, unfortunately servers goes in other direction. My box is only whispering from the fans and it has 8 drives. I have used the most quiet fans on the market for both cpu and chassie and low power cpu. The drives tops at 31 celsius at most and it has been running 24/7 for a year. I do use an APC UPS attached to it as well for saftey even though I live near a powerstation :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:12 pm 

It is in fact rather loud but I have it in the basement in the rack with the other servers and the media players. In fact all my media equipment is in the basement where we don't have to see or hear it. HDMI over CAT6 is a great thing!

I have a pair of AMD A10 processor media players and they are both quiet and fast. Not nearly as fast as the server is but plenty fast to play HD 1080P from a full bluray image with no dropped frames or sound glitches. Could not say that of the Atom machine it replaced. The Atom was very quiet though and sipped only a few Watts. I do miss that part of it for sure.

Good luck on the quest.

Mike