NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:31 pm 

Hello I am helping a friend who has Naslite-M2 using windows7 Ultimate. He has recently getting problems with error messages during start up that no connection to the NASLite with the network disks and an red X over the disk icons. But when opening the disk it gets OK and all is fine and the error disappear.

But now there is another story. From yesterday he has not been able to connect to Naslite at all. So I have spent all evening to try to find why! This is his setup:

Two network cards installed in the computer, one for the ADSL router with IP 192.168.0.X that is working just fine. The other NIC (intel) is attached directly by cable to Naslite that also has a NIC (Intel) both with another IP address family 192.168.1.X. Both NIC has green light and there is no error in startup of the NASLite.

It is impossible to connect to the NASLite, I even changed the IP on the NASLite to the other family and attached it to the ADSL Router but still no success! I have use all ideas at the moment and have no further clue what to do. Next I might uninstall the NIC drivers and restart the computer, next will be to remove the NIC from the computer or change position with the NAS. The error in network settings tells "Unidentified connection"!?

What is going on when it has been working fine for very long and now suddenly impossible to connect!!!? Very frustrating!!!

Any idea what to do next??

Regards
Soren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:57 pm 

Reset the BIOS to default for starters on the NAS.

Second if that don't work try another NIC in the NAS.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:42 pm 

Update!

Today I did more test. I deactivated all network cards and restarted the PC... did not work It did actually work for a minute then it dropped the connection. The problem is that NASLite gives no error on startup and all things are green even the lamps on the NIC cards. As the NASLite has on board LAN that I have deactivated in BIOS I thought maybe it is the NIC card that is the problem. So I activated the on board LAN and plugged in the cable to this one instead. As a result I was on the go and I had to get a new unlock code. Everything was working fine, I could reach the disks (4 of them) and restarted several times and all was good!

Then half hour later my friend called me to tell the problem has come back again!!! :x He tried to import images from a CF card and it stopped half way and now it is back to no connection!!!Can't find the network!!! This is really killing me!! He is a photographer and work is on halt as he can not import files or even reach the files on the disks!!

Thanks Mike, I will have a try with resetting the BIOS tomorrow!

Why does it droop the connection!!? No error message, everything is green, latest drivers, cables fine, device manager says it is running, ip-address is in the same family, but still it drops the connection and then dies.... :( win7 problem?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:04 pm 

cannot see it but will post it as an idea - could it be Microsoft have updated something and its broken something - but the logic of that is flawed as you have it working for a short time - but worth looking at updates and uninstalling all that have happened since the problem started

or go back to an earlier system backup

other idea is a virus or malaware - again i cannot see it but who knows

lastly try it with 7 in safe mode with networking - that gets rid of many things that could cause network problems

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:19 am 

Update!

First I did a virus control scanning, no problems there! Next I tried with safe mode... still no connection with the server. Then I uninstalled programs that was not needed and remove several from autostart... still no connection. Then I restarted the NASLite and load the default settings in BIOS. Restarted everything and a big relief YES!! Connection was back again and I could login and also read from the 4 disks. Then we did the same test that failed last time, a 16GB CF card with + 400 images was downloaded via Adobe Bridge to one of the disks on the server.... after about 200 images we got error message and the connection was lost!!!! :evil: Back to the problem again, no connection at all... the connection just died, restarted computer and nothing, restarted NASLIte and nothing, NIC showing green light and no errors from the NASLite on startup, Device manager says no problem. This is insane!!!!

We tested to import the CF card to a local disk, no problem, all 400 images was imported without a problem.

Then I restarted the NASLite and went into BIOS and loaded the "Default Settings" restart and it is connected again! What is happening here!??

For the moment we try to avoid import image to the NAS and only read images from the NAS to see how long this will work!
When there is a lot of traffic TO the server the connection dies, that is the conclusion so far, But this system has been working for years, why now!?

The PC has two NIC, one on board (ASUS) and one Intel card, The NASLite has also two, one on board (ASUS) and one Intel card. I have tried all of them!

Grateful for any ideas what is going on here, getting desperate....new backup system...start from scratch with new install of win7...

Thanks
Soren

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:55 am 

Hi

1/ Have a look in the NL log at boot, then before transfer starts and while transfer goes on. Look at the logs if you see errors (lines with [5] or higher).
2/ Boot NL and Win 7 computer. See if they are connected. Do not use the connection for some time (1 - 2 hours) and see if the connection is still alive or dead.
3/ When the connection dies, look if the "connected" LED is still on on both computers. If the Win 7 cann access the internet or other stuff on the local LAN ?
4/ Check if the Win 7 computer has some energy saving setting. (in card settings).
5/ If you have a screen and keyboard attached to the NL computer, try to access it when the connection is dead. Does the NL server working ?
6/ How is your "Set internet time" settings on the NL ?

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:24 pm 

robrub,

1/ I will have a check
2/ ok lets try that
3/ yes the green light is on on both PC and NL even if the connection is dead. As he uses one of the two lans for the ADSL router he has internet connection all the time, no problem there
4/I removed energy savings in card settings but that did not help (no energy savings on all cards)
5/ I have no problems connecting with monitor and keyboard, everything seems fine from the NL, NL is happy doing its things
6/ NL is set to the default as installed (UTC)

A thought.... can it be faulty motherboard? when I load default settings in BIOS the connection is activated again but then later goes down...? but a faulty motherboard should not boot right or give errors in NL start up?

Thanks
Soren

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:07 pm 

Just because it boots doesn't mean it is not faulty. I had a NIC that came up and worked for a little time and then just went south and stopped working. I have also had a MB go bad and simply not play right. Electronics fail, complex electronics fail faster.

Try another machine and see if it works for you. It should take nothing more than moving the boot drive to the new machine and booting. Enter in the unlock and you are done.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:05 pm 

Today's test

NL has been running for two days with no problems (not doing any imports) with open files and save them. PC and NL has been restarted several times and everything is fine. Today we took a 2GB CF card and imported via Bridge (previous test has been with 16GB). After importing about 55% (28 files of total 49) it drops the connection and then it is impossible to connect to NL again. The only solution is to restart NL go into BIOS and "Load Default Settings" to be able to connect to NL. Next we did try again with 16GB CF card , this time it stopped at 41% (223 files of total 531), it drops the connection and are dead until I restart and go into BIOS to load default settings. It seems that half way through each CF card it drops the connection.

What I also can see is that the NIC cards are flashing full time (on PC and NL) after the connection fails, it seems busy doing something and maybe that makes the connection "out of reach"!? It does not help by restarting the NL and PC, you need to go into BIOS on NL to load default settings.

My first thought was that problem could be copying large amount of files makes it dies...

So next step was to copy image files from internal drive (imported from the same CF card) to NL. This folder was + 22GB large with +800 images (Canon RAW format).
To my surprise after about 25 minutes all files was copied to NL with no error. I did use the drag and drop from internal disk to NL from explorer window. To verify that this is not related to CF cards I did the same thing. I took the 2GB CF card open with explorer and then selected all files and with "drag and drop" to a new folder on NL... and what happened!? No problem!!!!! it all worked and no errors!!!! :shock:

The only thing I can figure out now is that by using Adobe Bridge importing to NL something goes wrong!!! Because when using Bridge and import to internal drive is no problem, only when doing it to NL!!

Why? Anyone else seeing this problem?

For information. It is the latest version of CS6 for Photoshop and Bridge, can this be a bug in Bridge or is it a bug in NL!??
Would be interesting to know if others can see this problem (windows 7 ultimate, CS6 Photoshop, latest version)

Geez I see now that he uses Bridge CS5 on the screen images, need to check that!!! :roll:

Got the answer now...need to change the info about the version, he uses CS5 and not CS6. Still the question if this is a bug?

Soren

Attachments:
Bridge_Import_16GB_NL.jpg
Bridge_Import_16GB_NL.jpg [ 135.38 KiB | Viewed 55361 times ]
Bridge_Import_2GB_NL.jpg
Bridge_Import_2GB_NL.jpg [ 139.62 KiB | Viewed 55361 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:57 am 

Nice investigation :)

You could check one more thing. What happens if you give the direct LAN address to CS5 (either like 192.168.X.X\Disk-0\Canon or \\Server_Name\Disk-0\Canon) ? Some software do not like mapped drives but accept well direct LAN address.

Robby

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:59 am 

Another test,

I did change to an "direct LAN address" and gave it a new try with Bridge. Similar problem as before... it reaches about 41% and then it stops importing. But this time I did not loose the LAN connection I was still able to connect to the NL. At least one good point!

Next I used my MacBookPro to do the same thing but with CS6 version of Bridge. It downloaded just fine with no problems!

So my todays conclusions are that there is something going on with CS5 and Windows 7 together with NL as there is no problem to import to internal drives on the PC and from there copy the files into NL. As this setup was working fine earlier there must be a cause with one of the latest updates from Windows. He did not have many system restore options, just a week back so that was not an option. I also have no wish to reinstall Windows 7 with all that work that comes with it.

I be curious if someone else had used this combination. I don't know if it is a bug in Windows or Bridge or NasLite.

The way to solve this problem now is to import from Bridge to internal drive and from there copy to the NL. Lots of extra work.....

Soren

Attachments:
NasLite-M2_import.jpg
NasLite-M2_import.jpg [ 129.4 KiB | Viewed 55177 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:26 am 

if you suspect a windows update then i think most/all can be uninstalled - can be a little long winded as they are not marked by date on the uninstall page but it can be done

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:04 am 

Update!

We have tried with Adobe Bridge CS6 and to our disappointment it has the same problem. I thought it could be a CS5 issue as I could use my MacBookPro with CS6 and import images using Adobe Bridge with no problem direct to NL.

This is not possible with Win7 and Adobe Bridge as we can see. In the middle or beginning of the import of images it "hangs" and connection is lost, it does not help with restarting the PC or the NL the connection is still lost.

What I can see is that the NIC cards on both the PC and NL is flashing as if they where busy with sending data even after a restart. To be able to fix the connection I need to go into BIOS in NL machine and activate "Load Default Settings" ->save -> exit -> and restart.

This seems to be a "Win7 - Adobe Bridge - NL problem" as you can import images to an internal drive with no problem using the same workflow. You can drag and drop files to and from the server but you can not use Adobe Bridge doing this specially when using Win7, I have no experience with other system as XP or Win8. Mac has not the problem....

I would like the NL support try to replicate the problem as this is a pain as we have to "go around the problem" by importing to an internal drive and then copy from there to the NL using explorer.

Below is familiar screen dumps but with CS6 this time...

Thanks
Soren

Attachments:
CS6_NL01.jpg
CS6_NL01.jpg [ 28.13 KiB | Viewed 55059 times ]
CS6_NL02.jpg
CS6_NL02.jpg [ 125.66 KiB | Viewed 55059 times ]
CS6_NL03.jpg
CS6_NL03.jpg [ 132.4 KiB | Viewed 55059 times ]