NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:03 pm 

Well, I am not Leicray.

I use NASLite simply as a repository for my files, nothing more. I use XBMC to index the files I point it at and then let it go out and pull sleeves and cover art off the net. This it did automatically and seems to work well. Then I can not only see the names and art but play the music or movie. This bypass the issues you seem to be having if I understand correctly. In the future my intention is to see if I can offload the indexing to a separate server and let it handle added files on the fly while hot updating the index. I suspect there might just be an issue or two with that... Time and experience will tell there.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:53 pm 

Quote:
Leicray so if I understand correctly you are using NASlite for storage but you are using XBMC as your media server?

No, I'm using NL-M2 for storage AND as a media server. I would simply like the media server component to offer better functionality. Even having it perform identically to uShare (on which it is based) would be a bonus. Replacing the uShare code with miniDLNA would be a big step forward in functionality, but I hear what mikeiver1 is saying.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:31 pm 

From what Tony has related there is big things afoot for the next release of NL. Some support will be dropped for older no longer used (read that as non relevant) devices and other targets will be added. I hope that we can expect to see ARM support in the next couple of releases maybe. Another thing they are working on is an iSCSI target. Should bring a boost in performance which would be a nice thing, not that NL is deficient in the area. The cool part is that you could then in theory set up a storage pool and have a server export the pool, even software RAIDed, with security etc. on top of the storage while maintaining the simple implementation of NASLite.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:43 pm 

Soon enough we will find out if the DLNA implementation in NASLite is lacking for my needs. We just bought a Marantz AV7701 which has, among other things, a DLNA interface for files. Though it is kind of superfluous for our needs since we use a PC to drive our monitor and have XMBC for the task it will be interesting to see which sounds better. My bet is on the AV7701 but the question is will I like the interface and will it work well? At present we have parts coming for the cables etc. so until they arrive it goes unanswered... :cry:

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:12 pm 

Quote:
Soon enough we will find out if the DLNA implementation in NASLite is lacking for my needs.

What's the verdict then?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:47 pm 

Still waiting on parts! The XLR connectors that I ordered were not what they shipped. They are supposed to be in tomorrow. I needed a set of XLR to TRS cables and there is no where to buy them in the configuration and type I wanted. I am using a set of Switchcraft XLR connectors and Neutrik TRS connectors on the ends of Mogami 2534 OFC cable in different colors to keep it all straight.

That and a pet bird I had died last night so that really put a damper on my overall enthusiasm about anything. I am so broken up inside right now I am finding it really hard to focus on anything. I will miss his greetings in the morning and at night when I cover him. I will miss our weekend breakfasts together. I will miss him cuddling in on a morning in bed with the GF and me. I will miss him on the back patio rail enjoying the summer morning sun with us. I will miss sharing my gin and tonic with him. I will miss so much more that I can't say here. I will miss him...

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:14 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
... pet bird ...

I will miss him...

Mike

My condolences :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:58 pm 

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:50 am 

Mike,
How did the test go? Very interested to hear about your DLNA test, given that you are very detail oriented and have helped me with answers before.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:47 pm 

Guess I need to get on that today and see if I can get it working. I will post back and let you all know.

Mike