NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 10 minutes to boot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Rick,

Your syslog posts look fine and I can't identify anything that may be an issue. I am also unable to replicate the problem on my end.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issues? If so, please let us know so we can narrow down a cause.

Thanks for your diligence and patience Rick. We will prep a test ISO for you provided you are willing to give it a ride. Let me know and PM me your email address if that's OK. Hopefully, we can take care of the problem so you can use the latest version without issues.

Tony.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:52 am 

I am experiencing this same problem. The system hangs for over 10 minutes at:
Mounting storage ( Disk-0-1 )......[Done]
{ hangs here then finally boots after over 10 minutes. }

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:51 am 

What is your disk(s) size and quantity of RAM in the box ?

Robby

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:57 pm 

bitsplash wrote:
I am experiencing this same problem. The system hangs for over 10 minutes at:
Mounting storage ( Disk-0-1 )......[Done]
{ hangs here then finally boots after over 10 minutes. }

I am having this same problem. We've had a bunch of sequential power outages today, so I was paying attention ;-) more so than normal. Plus the NL server is otherwise running and up 24/7 for months at a time.

The hang is *NOT* during disk check. The disk check (in my case) was not initiated because the drives are CLEAN. Inspection of the log file shows its first and last entries as:
Code:
Jan 12 21:08:22 [3] klogd started: BusyBox v1.12.1 (2009-11-19 21:21:30 UTC
Jan 12 21:09:17 [2] EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with writeback data mode.

Notice that the entire set of log entries document less than ONE MINUTE of boot time. However, the triple-beep (and accompanying "login" prompt) takes an additional TEN MINUTES. This is further documented (not only by the beeps, but also) by the time stamp at bottom: "Last update Sat Jan 12 21:19:20 UTC 2013."

As reported by bitsplash the 10 minute hang is AFTER the "[ DONE ]" of the "Mounting Storage" and the next line, which is "Starting Servers ( TELNET HTTP RSYNC FTP SMB/CISF HFS ) ... after said line the "Setting normal administration mode" line and the "login" prompt come up immediately.

For completeness sake: 1GB RAM, and the entire set of three lines in bottom left:
Code:
NASLite-2 v2.67 02-2012
Content updated every 15 min.
Last update Sat Jan 12 21:19:20 UTC 2013

ANY IDEAS :?:

Edit: to avoid false assumptions: none of today's power outages caused an abnormal shutdown; I am running on a UPS and the NL server was manually shutdown prior to the UPS dying.

Edit2: I don't have as much time to debug this as the OP, but will assist to figure out what's going on here. I am not running any SATA or other cards. Two HDDs ( Disk-0 1TB ReadOnly; Disk 1 500GB R/W ) off the motherboard. The 10-minute-HANG has occurred at least 3 times today between power-outages, and I don't recall a single instance of normal (fast) boot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Couple of suggestions as I've been unable to replicate the problem. Disable the Time Server (Option 7) in the network config. Save, and reboot to check if problem persists. If the problem is no longer present, then make sure you supply a time server that is accessible. You can also verify that synchronization takes place by using the status pages.

Hope that helps.

PS. Time server IPs can be found here: http://tf.nist.gov/tf-cgi/servers.cgi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:33 pm 

Tony wrote:
Couple of suggestions as I've been unable to replicate the problem. Disable the Time Server (Option 7) in the network config. Save, and reboot to check if problem persists. If the problem is no longer present, then make sure you supply a time server that is accessible. You can also verify that synchronization takes place by using the status pages.

Hope that helps.

OK !!! That MIGHT be it. For now I disabled it (0.0.0.0 from 129.6.15.28), saved the config and rebooted. Magically, it booted real fast (as expected). Over the next few days I'll try a few more times with it disabled. Eventually I'll try to find a faster responding Time Server. In the meantime, let's have some of the other "complainers" report success with this change ... :)

THANK YOU !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:13 pm 

Did a cold-boot this morning. Worked fine (fast). Still have not yet re-established a time server.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:54 am 

Tony wrote:
Looking at the above link, and in particular the comments in the right-most STATUS column revealing the standard servers in Gaithersburg, MD as being "All services busy, not recomended" (for 129.6.15.{28|29}) ... I picked one closer to me and the warm start (reboot) worked GREAT (fast) !

Suggestion: make this Server List a sticky, together with maybe a note in the documentation about the time server status link.

And maybe in the next update, rather than using IP address in the "Network Config"/"TimeServer" field ... follow this suggestion posted at the above link and allow the use of "time.nist.gov" as a suggested default:
Code:
The global address time.nist.gov is resolved to all of the server addresses below in a round-robin sequence to equalize the load across all of the servers.

Whether you connect to a server using the name or the IP address, it is a bad practice to “hard-code” a particular server name or address into a device so that these parameters cannot be changed by the end user if that becomes necessary at some future time.

Thank you, Tony !

:D