NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:21 pm 

Hello all!

Sorry to fill up the forum with my stuff, but I need my system to run smoothly.

Before I downgrade to 10.6 Snow Leopard... has anyone been successful using SMB with NASLite using Mountain Lion?

After all the trouble with AFP (still have) I don't want to continue that route and return to SMB.

After deactivating AFP I am not able to connect to the drives, I can ping and use ftp but that is all.

Thanks

Perhaps I should say ... Mac users be careful going the AFP route... things going to happen...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Apple stopped using SAMBA and created their own version of SMB which is not compatible with NASLite. In order to use it, you'll need to use macports and install Samba in place of Apple's SMB.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:45 pm 

Thanks,

I will have a try...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:26 am 

MacPorts and SAMBA seems to be more complicated than I thought, you also need to install Xcode a 1.6GB filesize!! and command line :shock:

I did install Xcode, Command Line and MacPorts and tried to install SAMBA4 but that gave me errors I could not solve so I tried SAMBA3 also with lots of errors with needs of activation of several files... sudo port -f activate xxxx

After clearing all this with no more errors I can not find good information how to continue activating and using SAMBA with NASLite.

Can you enlighten me how to proceed? I think there are many OSX 10.8.x users who would be grateful for such information!

Thanks

Latest information from Apple Support...

Quote:
Apple was "Between a Rock and a Hard Place". Samba switched to the GNU v3.0 license which would have required Apple to Open Source most of Mac OS X. They were not about to give away the product that helped provide the engine to their recovery.

Any commercial company that used to ship Open Source packages, stopped shipping any package that switched to GNU v3.0 license.

Since Apple was not prepared to Open Source Mac OS X, and they did not want to give up CIFS/SMB access, they basically needed to get a replacement. They went with writing their own.

I suggest if you are experiencing problems you should be giving Apple feedback so they can learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:34 pm 

There is an solution to solve the issue with SMB and mounting drives on Mac OS X 10.8.x with Naslite

But... you need to spend $119.00 per license :cry:

I did install a trial version 3 weeks license and could mount the drives with cifs://naslite.m2/Disk-0

DAVEv10 is the name...
http://www.thursby.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:24 pm 
Site Admin

Well, you could just turn off "Show Hidden Files", go back to AFP and you'll never see the system files your trying delete.

And theres NFS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:40 pm 

Not much help there Ralph,

I want to get rid of the folders even if I can hide the ._files (they are actually hidden in my system). There is also a problem with AFP when moving a larger amount of files between drives as that also gives the error 'The operation can't be completed because the item is in use'. I will not use AFP again I had enough problem already.

I want to give the mountain lion another try before downgrading to previous snow leopard I used.

Can you elaborate a little more for SAMBA with MacPort? I have hard time to find how to proceed...

Tried nfs://naslite-m2/Disk-0 =nope

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

nfs://IP_ADDRESS/export/Disk-1

I use AFP everyday with Mountain Lion, as well as a lot of other people without any issues. I really dont understand why you want to delete the Appledouble folder etc, when those files are necessary for AFP to run. The only issue I see is deleting OS X Applications from the NL box, and that is most definately a problem with the finder. The AFP daemon in NL2 was update about a year ago, unless your using an old version of NL2.

.hidden files are hidden for a reason.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:20 pm 

Missunderstanding here...

I don't want to particulary delete .Appledouble folders I want to delete temporary folder that I am not using anymore!
If I create temporary folders and save files for a certain time before moving them to another directory I want to delete this folders or if I am cleaning up in the folder tree and then empty several folders and want to delete them as well. Appledouble folder seems to creep inside every folder you make. So you are saying that if you create a folder you have to live with that folder as it can not be deleted because it drops a .Appledouble folder inside? You never delete folders from Naslite? For example I have a folder called test_documents and inside this folder is only one text document but also an .Appledouble folder. Because of this I should not delete the folder when I am finished!? If that is the case after some years you might have several folders that clutters your drive that is empty but have some .xxx files and a .Appledouble folder!!

Have you tried moving a large amount of files from one drive to another? Try small files or large files... I had lots of problems with that getting the error ... items in use. I did not see that much with snow leopard... I am using the latest version of NL2

Anyway thanks for the nfs link that worked and yes it did also helped me remove the folder I could not delete before... WOW at last!!!! I was almost giving up!!!