NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:47 pm 

Hello!
Spent the last two days trying to figure out why disks gets unreachable. It seems like when you get to number 10 for disks it interfere with disk 1. I get a "*" before Disk-1 and Disk-10 so I am not able to use them. I have Naslite-M2 on USB-stick. All drives are clean and gives me OK when starting up, but they have the dreadful "*" in front of them. I pulled one disk out so the total was 9 disks and then everything was OK. Next I tried with a spare drive so the total was 11 disks and I got the same problem. Disk-1 and Disk-10 are marked with a *.

Is this a new problem?

I use a motherboard with 6 sata ports and a adapted 2610 raid card with 6 sata ports. Using only the adapted with 4 or 5 disks there is no problem. Using only the 6 sata ports on the motherboard is no problem. Using a mix of motherboard and adaptec sata ports is no problem as long as you are not reaching number Disk-10.

Any clue what this can be? Is it a bug?
For cosmetic reason I wish the presentations of disks was sorted by the letters you don't se in status menu. Now Disk-10 are in top of the list instead of last... :idea:

Thanks
Soren

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:07 am 

Hi

Did you look at the power supply ? 10 drives pull quite a lot of current.

If I understood well, when you have 10 drives, you can access only 8 drives. What happens when you have 11 and 12 drives ? If you get 9 and 10 working drives, then the problem is a bug, if you go on adding drives and you can't see more than 8 working ones, then it is a power supply problem.

The fact that you get 1 and 10 off makes me think of a bug but it also depends where these drives are connected (MB or SATA bord)...

Regards

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:38 pm 

Ooo, good catch there on the PS Rob.

I would definitely be looking at replacing the PS with a stud duck unit of at least 750Watts. I would also be looking at the SATA card I was using with a critical eye. I have in the past hung a large number of drives off of NL with not an issue. I would be looking at the hardware rather than the software at this point.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:57 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Ooo, good catch there on the PS Rob.Mike

Praise from Mike :lol: I like it very much. "You know what ? I'm happy"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:05 pm 

Ok,

Here is an update! I took screenshots what it looks like when you start up the system with 10 disks and 11 disks (with NasLite on USB-memorystick). As you can see the "*" stays on Disk-1 + on the boot drive (10 and 11). I am now running 10 drives but I can't configure the Disk-1 drive in storage configuration. So I unplugged one drive and went to 9 drives ("*" on boot drive only) to format Disk-1 and configure, then turning off the system and plug in drive 10 and restarted. I can now use the Disk-1 (save, move and delete files), but I can't use NasLite for configuration the "*" is back on Disk-1 :?

All the disks runs well now for the last 3-4 days but I still wonder why I get a "*" for Disk-1 when I reach total of 10 or more drives in the system? And should not the Disk-1 be unusable as it got a "*" in system config?

The drives are all WD Green 5400 rp/m and should be low on power, but yes I will have a look for a larger one (using 500 watts) thanks...

Attachments:
File comment: NasLite with 11 drives and USB booth
NasLite_11disk.jpg
NasLite_11disk.jpg [ 162.72 KiB | Viewed 72297 times ]
File comment: Storage Configuration with 10 drives and USB booth
NasLite_10disk_b.jpg
NasLite_10disk_b.jpg [ 132.54 KiB | Viewed 72297 times ]
File comment: NasLite with 10 drives and USB booth
NasLite_10disk.jpg
NasLite_10disk.jpg [ 167.65 KiB | Viewed 72297 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:11 pm 

And here is the next image!

Attachments:
File comment: Storage Configuration with 11drives and USB boot drive
NasLite_11disk_b.jpg
NasLite_11disk_b.jpg [ 111.36 KiB | Viewed 72297 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 am 

Update!

Got PSU Silverstone Strider ST1500, so lots of power.... the problem still there... :(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:20 pm 

Got me at this point. I might be inclined to get one of the 3Ware cards with 12 or 16 SATA ports and see if the issue persists.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:18 pm 

Don't get it, when only using the controller card it works fine. I did attached 4 and 5 drives to it and no problems. Then I added drives to the motherboard and no problems until I reached no 10. Install Disk-10 and above changes Disk-1 to "*" in admin configuration. The strange part is that I can use it as normal but not in the admin mode... it is locked :roll: Another raid card have to wait, the PSU was rather expensive...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Boot the installation CD and cycle thru the drives looking for configurations. verify there are no pre existing confs on your drives, which would create the *

The Drive sequence 1-10-2-3 etc is by design, Tony can elaborate on that if needed.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:27 pm 

I don't have a CD player in this machine, but I guess you can use a USB memory instead! I will check if that is the case, ...could be as one of the drives was used for NASLite before, but I did remove partition and formatting correctly if my memory is correct...

Yes I would like to know why the sequence of disk is in this way as there is drive letters that would make the sequence more logical.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:03 pm 

removing partitions and formatting will not delete the config stuff - its buried somewhere - you need to remove it with the install program

there is a post - maybe a few detailing problems with more than one config - if i can find it will point you to it

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Only way to remove a configuration is with the install cd, or zero'ing the drive out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:17 am 

I had a similar problem to this using over 10+ drives. It was a number of years back and I don't remember how I resolved it. Reading through the suggestions didn't ring any bells for me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:20 pm 

Yes, I gave up on this after spending several days trying to solve it. I bought bigger drives and use "only" 10 drives in the NL, I might try again when upgrading, just for testing...