NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NASLite-2 and Acer H340
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:27 pm 

Well I have finally had it with WHS and it doesn't play well with others in my mixed Apple Windows environment. Looking for a simple NAS and my H340 is do to be reformatted. It has 4 TB drives including drive one the has WHS on it and is clearly the boot drive. Is there a video, a guide, a youtube or anything to help a newbie like me go through this process. I read all the posts froma fellow from italy but he is way ahead of where I am. I will take any help from any patient user I can find.

Thanks,

John

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:04 pm 

boatguy wrote:
Well I have finally had it with WHS and it doesn't play well with others in my mixed Apple Windows environment. Looking for a simple NAS and my H340 is do to be reformatted. It has 4 TB drives including drive one the has WHS on it and is clearly the boot drive. Is there a video, a guide, a youtube or anything to help a newbie like me go through this process. I read all the posts froma fellow from italy but he is way ahead of where I am. I will take any help from any patient user I can find.

Thanks,

John

Own one and have converted one. What a PITA! But the end result was good - a low power server to host all our very large PNG family photo masters.

The good: It's efficient & fast

The bad: Like many boards, the bios doesn't stay where you set it. Seem to recall I had to add a "dummy CF drive" to make it to work reliably. Otherwise you end up constantly having to reconnect a VGA monitor (that plug in adapter mess) just to reset the boot drive to that internal flash memory.

Too many other tasks for "patient" help - but that imitation sata drive can be found here: http://www.addonics.com/products/ad25cfd.php ...and I shoved it into that larger 3.5in snap enclosure. You can probably just shove an old sata drive in there too. Was just looking for lower power use....

That was the hardest piece for adapting the acer. Now that machine justs boots.

Another possible fix, just buy a cheap video card. They specify a high end card, but I found a note somewhere describing how simple it was to fit it with a cheap one. Should be easier to set the boot drive then - without the perils of fishing small wires while you are already mad :) Doesn't fix the problem tho. That requires a cheat (like mine) or a fix for that board's bios. Since MS has completely discontinued WHS - it's not likely any manufacturer will have interest. So you are on your own bubba.

Converting from WHS to Naslite is a good move IMO. You won't lose your data. In contrast, many are hurting from the losses inflicted by WHS.