NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Backing up Settings
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:41 am 

Hi again!
To make sure that no settings go missing.....otherwise suicide is an option :D

I have saved settings to the USB which I boot from...can I save them some where else as well incase of problems with the flash drive?

bookie56

Post subject: Re: Backing up Settings
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:42 am 

Hi (again, you are talkative these days :D )

You cannot choose where to save your settings. If you want to be sure to have a backup:

1/ On another computer, boot from the NL CD and install it on another USB drive / key. (You can do this on the NL server also)
2/ Boot the NL server from the new USB (to see if all is working OK) and do all the settings manually... ( a bit tiring :roll: )

or

2 bis/ once you have tested that your new USB key is OK for booting the NL box, turn of the NL box, boot from the original (the one with the settings) USB key. Once NL finished booting, take OFF the USB n° 1 and insert the new USB key (the one without the settings). Enter NL config and save config as usual. Turn off NL box and boot from the new USB key (just to test if all is OK).

Voilà :)

Robby

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:13 am 

Hi robrub :D

Very nice...I like....thanks for the info!

bookie56

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:31 am 

Hi again!
Now I have something that is driving me mad.....and it has to do with saving settings...
I put on the NASLite server today...as usual I wait for the peeps to know all services are working and my NASLite is online...
I had trouble connecting to it since installing it....I connected via TELNET to see what was happening....I checked under storage configuration and my disks were not exported? The same with the smart settings etc...this was identical for both TB drives....I decided to reboot and then check....YES! YOU GOT IT it both drives were exported and all settings as I left them?!
Please tell me why my settings keep disappearing and returning....Please don't tell me I am doing things wrong...

bookie56

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:34 am 

i have seen this before on an odd drive - i think i posted about it - its a good few years ago - will have a search - maybe you could and see if you find anything

from memory its to do with the boot up/spin up speed of the drive - from a cold boot the drive is not upto speed when Naslite looks at it so it does not see it - on a reboot it is spinning at speed so it is seen

cannot remember how i cured it - as i say a search will [i think] help

sorry thats a bit vague - but its a start

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:52 am 

Hi tony a :D

That sounds interesting......not something I have encounterd before, but I can understand that.....

I am wondering if I need to upgrade the psu?

I have only 2 x 1TB drives and the flash drive, so the psu should cope....need to check what it gives out.....

Hope you find something on this....

bookie56

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:59 am 

bookie56 wrote:
I connected via TELNET to see what was happening....I checked under storage configuration and my disks were not exported? The same with the smart settings etc...this was identical for both TB drives....I decided to reboot and then check....YES! YOU GOT IT it both drives were exported and all settings as I left them?!
Hi.

If the disks are seen but not exported, then I also think it maybe a spin up problem.

NL asks "Hey ho! Any disks out there ?"
Your disks: "I'm just waking up and am not ready to work"
NL: "Well, I don't have time for you to wake up. Either you are ready or not. I'm noting that you are there but are lazy as hell !"

N.B. For more realism, you can make 2 different voices to interpret this little drama :lol:

This is probably NOT a PSU problem. What power do you have ? You should look in the BIOS or not turn off NL.

Robby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:39 am 

i dont see it as a psu problem either - its a drive setting problem in the bios - look there - i am sure there are settings - it usually does not matter as other OS's are slow to get going so a slow drive is not a problem

the usb stick is not helping as that is quick to be seen and boot - for interest [if you can] change that - boot from cd or add another small drive and boot from that - bios will wait for that and by which time the other drives should be up to speed and ready to talk to robby!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:45 am 

Hi guys :shock:

Excellent service...and on a Sunday!

OK! Got things to do and am transferring files at the moment....as soon as I get a mo I will check the psu and bios to see if I missed things...
As regarding a little drive...not sure..., but I think there is just two sata connections on this mobo...and no ide...will check that also....
What I might do is buy PROMISE TX4 S-ATA/300...if I remember rightly they are OK with NASLite...that gives me four connections and I can take one from the mobo for a NASLite drive.....maybe that will get things sorted....?

If I remember rightly - Promise TX4 haven't upgraded the firmware since 2005, but have read that they support 1TB drives? Just wondered if someone has a TX4 with even larger drives on it?

Having its own bios..the promise controller should work better...I have the TX2 on another computer and the boots up better with NASLite....NASLite is also installed to a drive....on that controller the two sata drives are only 500GB..

Trying to keep the cost down, but wondered if you know a better controller....?

bookie56

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:17 pm 

what network card have you got in it - get one of the intel pro cards - they have various settings in their bios which would delay the start and give the drives time to spin up

am not near a system at the moment that i can test but will post more details tomorrow and some timings if you want

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:19 am 

Hi tony a :oops:

OK! As you can see I am blushing ....been bit of a plonker......help....my age you know....
When I put together this server the psu was already in place and the old Abit IP-95 mobo...came out of a customer computer given to me.... :)
Well I connected up everything not thinking of the psu output.........please don't laugh :shock: max output 264 W...never gave it a thought...
I move stufff from computer to computer when finances allow me and.....
You both didn't think it was the psu, BUT you didn't count on an idiot being the builder..... :P
I had a 650w psu as a test unit for mobos...that is now in the unit and gives me a lot of room for expansion with extra hard drives etc...if something else comes along a little smaller - then I will change it...

The Abit IP-95 hasn't ide connections so that is out of the window on this one....
The bios had two settings for sata controller (inbuilt in mobo) and that was IDE or Raid...not using raid so set to IDE...
No separate network card but can look at that as well....

I have NASLite connected to a monitor at the moment and it showed exported drives directly....no problems transferring files either...going to put it back in its work place and test it again...

Think this might have been the problem...... :roll:

Will mark this as solved if nothing happpens in the next couple of days....

bookie56

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:51 am 

Hi again!
Just a little update....I still had problems with the spinup ...so I moved it to another computer instead of spending more time sorting it out...
I even added a IDE drive for settings.......
I started it this morning and it seemed to boot quicker and I had access to it quickly via Telnet and could start transferring files witout an errror...
I am hoping that this is solved for the time being.... :D

bookie56