NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEw build
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:23 am 

I am upgrading my NasLite-M2 box after years of great use. A guy in my area builds server boxes but I have no experience with using server type machines to run NasLite-M2. Rather than piece together another PC myself I was thinking of getting something like this below. Not sure if the 3 NICs would cause problems or if this is way overkill.
Thanks

Here are the specs:
This is a brand new build. NEW Dual Intel Xeon 1.86mHz Quad Core Processors on a NEW Tyam S5372GNR server motherboard with NEW 4GB of (on the Tyan approved Ram list) A-Data 677mHz Dual Channel Fully Buffered ECC Ram. 20x DVD Burner and 1.44 Floppy Drive, 64MB on board Video with 3 Lan connections 2 gigabit and one fast Ethernet along with 3 160GB SATA Hard Drives. built into a NEW Chenbro Server/Workstation case and a 600 watt PSU, that has room for 3 more fans. All the specs are listed below.
TYAN S5372G3NR-H
Brand TYAN
Model S5372G3NR-H
Supported CPU CPU Socket Type Dual LGA 771
CPU Type Dual Intel Xeon
System Bus 1333/1066MHz
Chipsets North Bridge Intel 5000V
Other Chipset SMSC SCH5017 Super I/O chip
Memory
Number of DDR2 Slots 6 x 240Pin up to 24GB
DDR2 Standard DDR2 667
Channel Supported Dual Channel
ECC Supported Yes
Registered FBDIMM
Expansion Slots
PCI Express x8 One x8 PCIe slot (with PCIe x4 bus)
PCI-X Slots (64-bit 133MHz) One 64/133 PCI-X slot in-lined with one (1) inversed PCIe x4 slot (routed to PCIe x8 bus)
PCI Slots 1
Other Slots One TYAN TARO SO-SIMM socket for adding SATA storage, the Taro 9000 (optional) is capable of 16 more SATA devices for expansion (not included)
Storage Devices (on board controllers)
PATA 1 x ATA 100 2 Dev. Max
SATA 6 x SATA 3.0Gb/s
SATA RAID 0/1/5/10
Onboard Video Chipset XGI XG20 64MB
Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset Intel 82563EB
LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps
Second LAN Chipset Intel 82563EB
Second LAN Speed 10/100/1000Mbps
Third LAN Chipset Intel 82551QM
Third LAN Speed 10/100Mbps
Max LAN Speed Dual 10/100/1000Mbps + 10/100Mbps
Rear Panel Ports
PS/2 2
COM 1
Video Ports D-Sub
USB 1.1/2.0 2 x USB 2.0 Onboard USB Onboard USB 2 x USB 2.0.

Post subject: Re: NEw build
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 am 

looks a job to me

i have one question - WHY? :?:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:01 pm 

It seems a very powerfull machine for a Nas... how many users will serve?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:50 pm 

Way OTT for a NAS in terms of processing capability and I would say Way under specced in terms of storage. Why spend that amount on that type of hardware and only put in 3 x 160GB drives.

Go for at least 2GB drives at the price they are drop to a single CPU (you can add the 2nd one later if you need to) and increase the RAM to 8GB (use the 64 bit version of NL for this tho).
And maybe drop in a decent Hardware RAID controller to handle the drives.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:27 pm 

It is so overkill that it is funny.

A P4 2.0GHz will saturate a gigabit NIC with little problem. NASLite is not multi-threaded and will not take any advantage of the extra cores. Go for the cheapest processor you can get for that MB, it WILL be fast enough.

Put in 4GB at the least for memory.

The two extra NICs are worthless as NL does not support bonding of NICs or fail over.

The drive sizes, as noted by dougal1957, are a joke as well. You should only be buying 2TB or 3TB drives. With a MB like that you should also be buying a hardware based SATA RAID card. NL does not support soft RAID so steer clear of the cheaper RAID cards. LSI and 3Ware both make good cards. Not a fan of Adaptec any more but some have used them with success.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:30 pm 

I knew you guys would jump on me but heres the thought process. My current NAS died and I have finally run out of compatible parts to piece together another; so I could buy a new MB / CPU and memory. The case is still good, ADAPTEC 2610SA is good. I already have three 1.5TB drives and two 750GB drives form the current NASLite so I can reuse these in whatever I get. I just spent two days (7-8 hours) trying to fix the current computer and cannot get a stable PC so its is no longer worth my time to keep throwing parts at it. Like I mentioned I can go buy a MB/CPU/Memory and start over, or buy a prebuilt like I listed. He sells these servers for 400-500 dollars. Sure I could buy parts and build one cheaper but it will also take my time. Thats why I threw this out there for opinions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:53 am 

I have an atom 230 based nas with 4x 2Tbyte WD drives and it is very fast... it saturates the gigabit lan

I would invest more in the drives than in the cpu/mobo..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:25 pm 

I did not realize how cheap some of the ATOM based PCs are. Two questions though. these are mini ITX. Will they work in my big ATX case and is the power supply compatible? Most of these boards have Realtek 8111E LAN chip. this is not listed in the hardware guide but can anyone confirm if ti works?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:36 am 

jmiliz wrote:
I did not realize how cheap some of the ATOM based PCs are. Two questions though. these are mini ITX. Will they work in my big ATX case and is the power supply compatible? Most of these boards have Realtek 8111E LAN chip. this is not listed in the hardware guide but can anyone confirm if ti works?
Thanks

As far I can see a large number of Atom motherboards have a standard ATX power connector so it will not be a problem.
About the case you should see if it has the holes for the Mini-ATX form factor

About the Realtek lan chip try to ask to ServerElements but as far I know it works with 2.6 linux kernel so it sould work with Naslite too....