NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:13 am 

I use True Image to make initial PC images and use Nero Backup for smaller frequently updating backups. I keep hearing about the 4GB limit. I need to check and see if the backups are actually being sent as multiple smaller files rather than one large file. I use the NasLite+ version not the free one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:29 pm 

johall,

I want to follow-up on my previous statement regarding FTP file transfers. As I said,
Quote:
To be honest I tried using FTP with a 5GB file and it didn't work. As I stated, I didn't look into it to see if it was my problem or not but I just wanted to let johall know to test FTP/NFS independently.

I just want to state that FTP can transfer files over 4GB. The problem I saw and (finally investigated today) was that I was looking at the size of the file as reported by SMB, not FTP. Seems the bug in SMB will only report the size of the file as the remaining amount over 3.99GB. So, for example, I transfered a 5.53GB file via FTP but when looking at it via SMB it only reported the size of the file as 1.54GB (5.53 - 3.99 = 1.54). That's why I stated I didn't know if it was my problem or NASLite+.

Also, not sure if what I just mentioned has been documented in the forum. or elsewhere, but I just wanted to set the record straight that NASLite+ FTP handles >4GB files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:05 am 

sanmanster... good tip !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:56 am 

thanks.... that explains exactly what I was experiencing too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:38 pm 

[quote="wilbur]
I have some High def stuff on an external HDD at the moment but haven't tried copying that across yet may have some problems because of the 4gb limit :? We'll see I'm going to have a play with it over the weekend[/quote]

Ok so I tried FTP'ing the high def stuff across and only managed small amounts of the file, some of these files are huge up to 20GB and they're individual files. Not very succesful :? but am going to try following the instructions to NFS the files, see this link: http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... fb0a9ae782
nicely written and hopefully another route in to try to store my high def movies centrally

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:32 pm 

Wilbur,
Quote:
Ok so I tried FTP'ing the high def stuff across and only managed small amounts of the file, some of these files are huge up to 20GB and they're individual files. Not very succesful but am going to try following the instructions to NFS the files, see this link: http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... fb0a9ae782
nicely written and hopefully another route in to try to store my high def movies centrally

Not sure why you weren't successful with FTP but I tried it two ways 1) with the Windows FTP client and 2) by entering ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Disk-X in my browser window and drag and dropping files there. Both were successful.

Also tried the NFS method and had success with that as well. Follow those instructions, it should work for you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:56 am 

Sanmaster,
Tried the windows ftp client and it copied a silly 8mb for each movie, tried a couple of trial software versions, Terrapin which I've used succesfully before for other projects just shutdown as soon as I tried :? the others just seemed to copy some of the movie, I'll have a go tonight using the ftp://***.***.***.***/Disk-x method and I'll also have a prod at the NFS idea too, thanks for advice :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:49 am 
Site Admin

wilbur,

What version of windows are you using? Often XP security settings will cause strange behavior like that. I'm not sure, but my guess is that's most likely the cause.

Just a thought...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:56 am 

Tony wrote:
wilbur,

What version of windows are you using? Often XP security settings will cause strange behavior like that. I'm not sure, but my guess is that's most likely the cause.

Just a thought...

I am using Windows XP Professional SP2, I have to admit I haven't yet researched as to why I had this problem, the encouraging thing was the small parts of the High Def stuff I did manage to copy played back seamlessly across the network using WMP10 8)

Do you have any suggestions as to what I could change in Windows to allow the transfer? Thanks for the advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:46 am 

Wilbur,
Quote:
Sanmaster,
Tried the windows ftp client and it copied a silly 8mb for each movie, tried a couple of trial software versions, Terrapin which I've used succesfully before for other projects just shutdown as soon as I tried the others just seemed to copy some of the movie, I'll have a go tonight using the ftp://***.***.***.***/Disk-x method and I'll also have a prod at the NFS idea too, thanks for advice

With the Windows FTP client did you set the mode to BIN (binary)? That might help. Also, I read a Microsoft Knowledge Base Article (Edited: 842264) that suggested disabling the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Service to improve network performance. Not sure if that will help but it's worth a shot.

Good luck and let me know if the ftp://***.***.***.***/Disk-x method worked for you.

I'm fairly confident that the NFS method will also work for you. Report on that as well when you get the chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:51 pm 

Wilbur,

As a follow-up to my previous post about the MS Knowledge Base Article (842264) it appears that this is only applicable if your Network Adapter supports LSO (Large Send Offload) or TCP Segmentation. If not, this suggestion will probably have no effect.

Further investigation shows that server-level Gigabit network adapters appear to have this functionality but standard desktop-grade Gigabit adapters don't. It depends on the brand and what features the manufacturer decided to implement. Not sure if Fast Ethernet cards (100Mb) have this capability, either.

Sorry if I caused any confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:50 am 

Sanmaster,
No confusion, thanks for the extra advice, my network consists of a Netgear DG834GT router and adsl modem which is also the dhcp server, a GS605 Gigabit switch which all the wired machines on the network are connected to, the NASlite has a Netgear GA311 gigabit card in it, my home office pc has a built in gigabit network card on the MSI motherboard and the HTPC which is where I'm trying to make the NFS and FTP connections has a Belkin gigabit card.

As posted in the NASlite forum link below: http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... 75c5155170
I have not had any success with the NFS route as yet, I can see the default LAN in the NFS folder but the rest is blank. Haven't had chance to try the windows ftp idea yet too busy playing with NFS :wink:

Will update as and when I get somewhere, thanks again for your advice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:41 am 

Wilbur,

Not sure what is causing your problem but I do know that I have one piece of information set in another file that wasn't mentioned in lusid's post on how to get NFS working (excellent post :!: ). The file is the hosts file located in the directory:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

I have the following entry in there:

192.168.XXX.XXX "My NASLite System Name"

This is the name ("My NASLite System Name") that appears under Default LAN. Not sure if it's required but that is the only difference that I can tell.

Good Luck :!: