NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:35 pm 

It sure is quiet in this forum...

I have a previously-reliable Naslite system that suffered an extended power failure (UPS ran out, Thank-you Ontario Hydro), and now, it reboots at the point the system is going online. It boots, finds and mounts the four disks OK, there is a quick message about 'Server initialized' and ' Network initialized (I think; they go by very quickly), and then, Poof!, it beeps 2x and reboots.

The system has a 1.7 G Pentium, 768 Mb of memory and about 1.3 Tb of disk space distributed over 4 disks. It has been a reliable runner (barring power failures) for several years.

I had to re-learn how to do a filesystem check with a bootable CD. This takes 30-45 minutes, but it's faster than letting NasLite grind through on its own. e2fsck runs and exits without reporting errors.

I have tested it with only 2 - 250 Gb disks connected, with the same result.
I initially tried different (larger/more) memory to see if Naslite could struggle through it's own e2fsck on it's own, thinking that was the problem (mentioned in an older post).

I have tested it with NO disks connected, and it behaves the same way (???), so it could be hardware related. I've set the bios to halt on ALL errors, but I don't get any info beside the 2 strangled beeps. This isn't one of the listed Naslite beep codes.

I have let it reboot repeatedly, hoping a useful message might pop up, but no....

After Naslite mounts the disks sucessfully, the system reboots, and the disks are 'dirty' (not cleanly unmounted).

I'm using a RIPLinux bootable CD for cleanup, and I've been able to e2fsck the disk sucessfully, and browse the internet (Lynx ) to verify the Ethernet card is operational. I've run the memory tester, with no issues found.

I've reset the BIOS, and made sure it's reporting 'None' for disk IDs (had to boot system with drives disconnected to get this).
I've disabled everything I can think of in BIOS.

Th one thing I haven't done is tried a new boot disk, because it was such a pain to make. I suspect this isn't an issue since the image uncompresses and starts without complaint (I think).

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Or am I looking at a replacement box? Anything else I can try, besides a fresh boot disk?

Thanx in advance.

DW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:03 pm 

A couple things I would try.

One, remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes. Then reset to the defaults in the BIOS. After, disable all the devices that are not needed like the serial and parallel ports as well as the built on sound.

If this fails to fix the issue the next thing I would try is replacing the power supply.

The third thing to try is reloading a new fresh image on the boot drive.

The above failing you are most likely looking at at least a new/ used motherboard.

Hope this helps,

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:33 pm 

Replacing the battery was suggested in an old post, so I had the battery out for the 10 min or so it took to find my meter.
The battery seemed OK @ 3.3 V, so I haven't replaced it at this time.

However, the clock didn't need resetting, so maybe I should give that another, longer try...

It always reboots as soon as Naslite reports the network going up, regardless of the number of disks connected.

I can bring the ethernet card up manually, and go online without any problems, so I'm
at a loss to figure what it's tripping over.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:28 pm 

Remove the battery and pull the CMOS jumper to the other side for a 10 second period. Then replace the jumper and reinstall the battery.

Also, just because the battery reads 3.3 Volts does not mean that it is good. You need to test it under a load and see if the voltage sags below 2.8V, if so the battery is shot.

Try reloading the OS then. It seems to be the common issue, I think it time to buck up and reload it. Should take no more than say 10 minutes from start to finish including the configuration and the license install.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:05 pm 

This is the free version. The hassle originally was finding a version of Linux that would make the 1.7 Mb floppy. I remember fiddling about with floppy config codes, and puppyLinux or DamnSmallLinux before I had a winner.

In any case, all's well that ends well. I was thinking about your power supply comments. I let Naslite reboot repeatedly to see if it would cough up an error, and I noted that it seemed to be choking on the 3rd beep that Naslite sends on a successful launch.

I unplugged the speaker on a hunch, and it cures the problem.

Go figure.

The MB is 6-7 years old, so I'm suspecting a dried-out electrolytic cap, or the like.

We're airborne.

Thanks for your suggestions.

DW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:29 pm 

If pulling the speaker leads fixed the problem then you have serious issues with that motherboard and should abandon it. I would not rely on it any further.

Also, are you so cash strapped that you can't afford to spend $30.00 for the full version? Really?
Would you not agree that the guys deserve to have a modicum of support for their efforts, especially considering that you have been running it for so long?

It is far more feature rich and much faster than the old version that you are presently running. Just the revamped loader and the install options are worth the cost. I rebuilt my machine on the newest image the other day and it took less than 5 minutes to complete it all.

Mike