NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:10 pm 

Question:

I own NASLite-2 ver 2.61. I would like to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit. Do I need to buy a completely new 2.61 license?

Thank you,
John

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:17 pm 

I don't think so, see if your DL link works. Not sure though.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:30 am 

mikeiver1 wrote:
I don't think so, see if your DL link works. Not sure though.

Mike

My DL works but it's for the same 32bit version as I have. "SEI-NL2-2.iso".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:35 pm 

Email Tony or Ralph and see if they are willing to give you a hand with your issue. The fact is that if you do not have big hardware the difference in performance will be minimal at best.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:43 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Email Tony or Ralph and see if they are willing to give you a hand with your issue. The fact is that if you do not have big hardware the difference in performance will be minimal at best.

Mike

I'm building a new server with either triple core or quad core procs, 2xGigE NIC's and as much memory as I can swing. Here's the cool part. NASlite will run as a virtual machine in Virtual Box. My initial testing has gone well but I want to keep the whole stack on 64bit from the proc to the O/S's in VM's hence the request for NASLite-2 64bit.

I'll email Tony and Ralph.

Thanks,
John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:59 pm 

And why pray tell would one want to run NL in a virtual machine?

I just do not understand the propensity of users to want to take a well tuned and reliable OS/appliance application and hinder it's performance in this way. It would be like taking a Cisco router and setting it up to run windows as well.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:18 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
And why pray tell would one want to run NL in a virtual machine?

I just do not understand the propensity of users to want to take a well tuned and reliable OS/appliance application and hinder it's performance in this way. It would be like taking a Cisco router and setting it up to run windows as well.

Mike

Simple. Most home users don't want to have multiple PC's or servers for individual applications like NASLite, email, web server, security video, FTP... or whatever else is possible. Why not invest a single multi-core robust hardware platform and run ALL apps visualized on just one server? For me its a big problem solved... The only thing I'll concede is that I do not know how performance will compare. My old platform could manage about 24MB/s so that will be my benchmark. Considering I can now use RAID to stripe my physical drives into a single virtual drive I should have much higher I/O capability. That coupled with a 64bit stack should get me in the ballpark.

Of course, if my assumptions on performance and stability are wrong then I will stay with a standalone NASlite system. If Virtual Box proves unreliable I also have access to a VMware Sphere ESXi license that should be very solid, just more long term cost.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:19 pm 

Well, considering the cost of a low power, high performance machine now days I see little use for it. That and my data is one thing I will take no chances with. A VM is one thing that adds a big layer of complication and potential failure to.

Just my $.02.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:34 am 

mikeiver1 wrote:
Well, considering the cost of a low power, high performance machine now days I see little use for it. That and my data is one thing I will take no chances with. A VM is one thing that adds a big layer of complication and potential failure to.

Just my $.02.

Mike

Well..... my goal to run NASLite in a VM sounded all well and good but the performance fell off substantially...

I have sustained as much as 52MB/s with NFS and 39MB/s with CIFS. With VMware ESXi 4.0u1 I could only achieve about 1/3 the performance. My server does not have a ton of CPU or memory so that probably contributed. Either way, the cost would be higher to virtualize since I would need much more CPU and memory to stay even with the perfromance of a non-virtualized NASLite install. BTW, I also tested VirtualBox which had similar performance issues so the issue is NOT VMware but the additional hardware resources needed to run NASLite in a VM. I estimate I'd need at least 8GB of memory to even come close, maybe even 16GB.

Last edited by jgkurz on Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:30 pm 

You make my point for me, thank you.

I do understand the logic behind what you were trying to do but for this particular application it is a poor choice, for a number of obvious reasons, to go down that road.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:51 pm 

mikeiver1 wrote:
You make my point for me, thank you.

I do understand the logic behind what you were trying to do but for this particular application it is a poor choice, for a number of obvious reasons, to go down that road.

Mike
I was willing a pay an uplift for the benefit (in my environment) of virtualizing NASLite but not the hundreds it would take to keep performance on par with a 2.66GHZ P4 with 2GB RAM. :( If the cost wasn't so much more I'd virtualize without hesitation.

Last edited by jgkurz on Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:10 pm 

If the energy cost is the main issue then just under clock the processor, you should see little performance impact from that.

Mike