NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:51 pm 

dimension wrote:
Why don't you upgrade to naslite2? It works much better and has lots more capability. You can even use the drives form your nanonas as is. I'd guess with the likes of vista and win7 nanonas will keep coming short. But then, what can you expect from a floppy :)

The upgrade works seemlessly? So I will be able to upgrade, then continue using the drives from the NanoNAS with the info still intact and everything?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:38 pm 
Site Admin

Upgrade should in fact be seamless. The existing drives will appear in NASLite-2 after you configure and unlock. The only difference will be that you will not be able to boot from floppy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:20 pm 

Dump the floppy and get a 32MB CF card and adapter and do an HDD boot. Quick, reliable, clean.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:03 am 

Like "ab420", I recently upgraded from NASLite-SMB to NanoNAS-SMB and am experiencing apparently identical symptoms using any fully patched Windows XP SP3 (Home or Professional) machine. Unlike "martinlowery", I have not enabled journalling on my NanoNAS filesystem.

Interestingly, the one machine on my home network still running Windows 98SE can delete any "problem" file or folder on the NanoNAS machine without giving the error message.

I was pleased to note that Tony has been able to replicate this problem but has he had an opportunity to investigate further and hopefully come up with a robust solution?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:16 pm 

I gave up. Couldn't deal with all the problems and completely dumped the system altogether for a real server. NASLite was just one big waste of time and money for me. :(

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:52 pm 

Was this issue ever addressed and resolved?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:38 pm 

Not as far as I know... I gave up and got a server. :(

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:19 am 

I also gave up .... but then upgraded to NASLite-2 during "50% off" sale in March this year.

No similar problems since then and much prefer being able to boot server directly from first hard drive rather than floppy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:49 am 

donna wrote:
I also gave up .... but then upgraded to NASLite-2 during "50% off" sale in March this year.

This is so disappointing. I used to be a big cheerleader for the NAS varieties. Now I'm not sure why I should support a company that doesn't support its users. Why should I pay -- again -- for another product just because the first one has a bug that isn't being addressed?

If there isn't going to be an upgrade/patch for this, I guess I'll move to something else when I do make a change. I'm leaving the door open if SE addresses it, but at this point, I don't have high expectations.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:45 pm 

matinlowery wrote:
donna wrote:

This is so disappointing. I used to be a big cheerleader for the NAS varieties. Now I'm not sure why I should support a company that doesn't support its users. Why should I pay -- again -- for another product just because the first one has a bug that isn't being addressed?

If there isn't going to be an upgrade/patch for this, I guess I'll move to something else when I do make a change. I'm leaving the door open if SE addresses it, but at this point, I don't have high expectations.

That's how I felt... pretty dissapointing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

matinlowery and ab420,

I understand your frustration. It is not our intent to be unsupportive of our customers, however given the restrictions imposed by the size of a floppy disk, making XP-SP3 and Vista level modifications to the absolutely bare-bones capabilities of NanoNAS is difficult and often impossible. We are however making efforts to correct the behavior and will issue a release as soon as we have one available.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:07 pm 

I understand it's not easy, and I'm not saying it is. It's been almost 6 months since I started having the problem, and nothing has changed. You are still selling NanoNAS, and no where on the sales page does it mention that it won't work with XP SP3 or Vista, and you have people that bought it (and probably still are buying it) for just that reason. You need to make it clear what the limitations of the product are BEFORE selling it to people. If you can't get NanoNAS to work, you should at least offer to give those paying customers a version that will. On the NanoNAS sales page it says "NanoNAS SMB - Designed primarily for use with WindowsTM clients" that is extremely misleading, and is basically false advertising. You sold me a product to use with Windows, and it doesn't work with Windows... and the only solution offered so far, is to give you more money to buy another one of your products. That's just not good business.

I understand it's hard given the size limitations, but you should update your website to let people know about these issues so you don't keep misleading your customers. At this point, I've wasted $10 on your software, and will not ever give you money again, because you've offered no help or restitution for misleading me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:49 am 
Site Admin

ab420,

NanoNAS works flawlessly with all variants of windows up to XP-SP3 and Vista. It also works fine with MAC and any version of UNIX including the latest Ubuntu. That said, the best we can tell, Microsoft broke compatibility with a security update somewhere around XP-SP3 however we've been unable to pinpoint the exact time.

We have been working on the issue for some time now and have spent more time than I care to account for. As a result we have corrected a number of the problems that Vista has introduced. XP-SP3 can now delete without a problem and Vista can browse the server, but we still have some concerns about Vista and Win7 that we are currently working on.

Solution is very simple to implement, but requires relatively substantial increase in size requirements brought about by the increase in protocol complexity. That is room we do not have on the floppy. As a matter of fact there is only 28K available for us to implement the change. That will take some time if it's at all possible.

I'm sure that at this point anything I say is of no consequence since it's cleat that you have made a decision and formed an opinion, but for what it's worth, I'll be happy to forward you a current version of NanoNAS for you to try with hopes that it will resolve your issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:19 pm 

Tony wrote:
NanoNAS works flawlessly with all variants of windows up to XP-SP3 and Vista. It also works fine with MAC and any version of UNIX including the latest Ubuntu. That said, the best we can tell, Microsoft broke compatibility with a security update somewhere around XP-SP3 however we've been unable to pinpoint the exact time.

We have been working on the issue for some time now and have spent more time than I care to account for. As a result we have corrected a number of the problems that Vista has introduced. XP-SP3 can now delete without a problem and Vista can browse the server, but we still have some concerns about Vista and Win7 that we are currently working on.

Solution is very simple to implement, but requires relatively substantial increase in size requirements brought about by the increase in protocol complexity. That is room we do not have on the floppy. As a matter of fact there is only 28K available for us to implement the change. That will take some time if it's at all possible.

Following up on my post, I appreciate the new information. I would absolutely not be surprised to learn that MS caused the issue, and now you're left to deal with it. Since it occurs inconsistently, I'm sure it's been time-consuming to track down.

I use NanoNAS an old 486 clunker, which boots from floppy or HD -- and that's it -- so having a floppy-based NAS solution means I'm able to turn otherwise useless junk into a server for backups and other files. I used NasLITE for quite a while before that, and was delighted to see and pay for NanoNAS when it came out with new features.

The deletion bug isn't a complete show-stopper, as there are workarounds, including MOVING a file from the server to a local PC and deleting it from there. It is an annoyance, however, as it does occur frequently. Having no new information after confirmation of the problem except recommendations to buy a different product has been disappointing.

You mention that XPSP3 now no longer has problems. Was there an update to NanoNAS? I would be happy to test a new version if so. Alternatively, if there's no way to make it work, can you offer a migration path / discount for NanoNAS to NASLite2?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:43 pm 

Tony, any update?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next