NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Intel atom M/B
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:01 am 

It's easy to know. The Mini-ITX fits in the 1st 4 stand off holes in a case. Just look at them that's how small the board is. So the center stand off's of bigger mother boards is the out side corner of a Mini-ITX mother board. The back plate still lines up too.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:01 am 

Thanks to Georg and Raymond for their replies. Looks like the board will fit.

Anybody know if the onboard gigabit LAN works with the Linux kernel in M2 1.01?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:58 am 

I have this Atom mother board it's a 1.6 MHz 1 core CPU. Just a little heat sink on it with no fan on the CPU. The video chip has a big heat sink on it with a little fan.

I don't think I ever used NASLite on it. I installed Windows XP home on it and that's how I am on here now. It works super good with that. Can't play like HD video with it good or games. But about any thing else it does good.

I would have to take it down and I guess install NASLite on a USB key to test it out. So not sure it it works good with the on board LAN on it.

I have a Mini-ITX that is a 1.2 celeron. I have NASLite-M2 running on it. The board is a D201GLY2 and it's on board Ethernet don't work good with NASLite-M2. It reads data fast but sending data to it is very slow. About as slow as old phone modems! I am not sure if it's the same chip set as the Atom board. They do have the Atom one out now with a Dual core and Gigabit Ethernet. Not sure if NASLite-M2 works with that Ethernet or not. I don't think it would. But they do have one PCI slot were you can stick a card.

I got sick of my NASLite-M2 being so slow and order a PWLA8391MT-REF Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop Gigabit Adapter. I looked on here and seems like it's the best Gigabit Ethernet card that works with NASLite.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:16 am 

I order a Intel PRO/1000 MT card but I was at a store and seen a Linksys Gigabit EG1032 for a good price and got it. Because the Intel one I order has not came in the mail yet and I can use it some place else.

But I found out NASlite-M2 don't see this Linksys Gigabit card. I know I had a Gigabit card in a old PC and it has on board Ethernet so I took the Gigabit card out of it and it's a Intel PRO/1000 MT and works very good with NASlite-M2. Sending data to it now is very fast with that card! The onboard Ethernet I turned off in the BIOS and it was so very slow sending data to the NASLite-M2. It did get data back fast.

So if any one wants a good gigabit Ethernet card the Intel PRO/1000 MT is a good one to get for NASlite.

When I put this card in I had to redo the unlock code to get a new one.

-Raymond Day

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:22 pm 

Wow the Intel PRO/1000 MT works real good with NASLite-M2! I wanted to test it and I have Windows 7 running on a Gigabit PC. I have a D-Link DGS-2208 Gigabit Swich. I did not have any big file to test it with. But I had a DVD with Transfer Digital Copy and after I put the Authorization it copied it from DVD to the hard drive. It's 1.75 GB in size. That took about 3 minutes from DVD to HD. Then I copied it to the NASLite-M2. That took about 1 minute! Wow faster then DVD to HD.

From this can see that's it's a lot better.

I got the card from http://www.tekby.com/product_info.php?p ... _id=831708 it seems like the best price then shipping cost added to it.

When I got it the plate looked bent. But other then that the card looks new. But I don't think it was.

I can say this Gigabit card does work good with NASLite-M2.

They have a new Gigabit card out not MT but GT. I don't know if that one works with the NASlite or not. But it seems easy to find on the net.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:35 am 

Can anybody who has an Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard say whether or not it fully supports ACPI including providing updates of the CPU TEMP in real time? I noticed that nobody has yet included this motherboard in the forum thread dealing with ACPI, but that might just be an oversight.