NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Routers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:33 pm 

My ADSL Router is an elderly (10+) ADDON ARM8100; I am becoming convinced that it ignores my port-forward instructions such that my main external path to the NL Server has had to be set in the DMZ. Hopefully with ZoneAlarm and Spydoctor and SSL protocols the PC is pretty well secured(!).

What is the 'word' on the best manageable ADSL router - I'm not interested in wireless, just 4 ports or more, sensitive, stable and fully programmable?? Perhaps even 'no-ip' aware...

Hoping this is not too far off message! Thanks Jeff

Post subject: Re: Routers
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:46 pm 

Just about any modern xDSL router is going to have a host of features that you will likely not need. they can be turned off so it is of little matter. They will also work a bit better then the one you have in service right now thanks to better noise margins in the drivers and mod/demod circuits, software improvements, and faster embedded processors.

The short of it is just about any of them are good, I do like the Zoom xDSL routers, seem to perform well under adverse line conditions.

I would also look into putting the whole network behind a Smoothwall firewall. Go to http://www.smoothwall.org for the skinny if you are interested.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:47 pm 

Hi mikeiver! Many thanks - had a quick look at the smoothwall_express3 hardware firewall - it is a remarkable piece of open source programming! Very tempted to look out for yet another Compaq Deskpro small profile PC at the local tip; last one for NL cost me £10; I envisage having to smuggle it past 'management' though!! I read through the installation guides but did not find much on real-life set ups; did you find it pretty intuitive? Thanks again for your continued support on the forum(s)! jeffjohn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:42 pm 

Intuitive for one may seem like brain surgery to another. That being said, I think it a well thought out firewall for the basic functional need. The setup is actually very easy and there is a whole boat load of help in their forums. At its simplest it is a few questions and answers and then away you go for a Red/Green setup.

Give it a try, I think you will find the feature set more than worth the bit of effort to learn.

Mike