NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:10 pm 

Help me understand why I might need M2. I've been running Naslite-2 for 2 years, for the most part without incident. (The reason I'm here on the boards is because lately things have started acting a little flakey. I thought to check for an update (I'm on 2.02) but now seeing M2 I'm wondering if I want to wait for M2 instead of paying to upgrade to 2.06).

I setup iTunes on my naslite box about a year ago. In fact, I set it up so that I was sharing the same iTunes library from my mac and my pcs. Both the library and the music are stored on the naslite box. The library updates properly when I add/delete/whatever songs or videos or podcasts. In fact, I've never noticed it *not* doing what I would've expected it to do had it just been stored locally. So what benefit exactly does M2 provide that I'm not currently getting from my setup?

Here's a caveat: All of the above is true for accessing iTunes from my pcs. At some point though, it stopped working properly from my Mac. I don't know if this was on a Mac update, or an iTunes update, or is unrelated to an update completely and I just somehow broke it myself. I get an error when I try to access my iTunes library on the naslite box, and even get an error if I try to create a brand new iTunes library on the naslite box. Either of these things I'm able to do fine on a shared windows drive, just not on a naslite drive for some reason. Do these problems have something to do with why I might want M2? And if so, can I assume it's a more recent issue, since at least for a while I was able to access my iTunes media and library all residing on naslite even from my Mac?

Last question (and I'll move this part to the Naslite-2 USB forum if I need to): I noticed in the 2.06 upgrade notes a couple of things related to OSX support. I can access my Naslite box perfectly fine from OSX right now on 2.02 (iTunes issues aside). So what am I missing in OSX support that I don't know I'm missing? Possibly something related to why I can't get iTunes to work from naslite anymore? (But if that's it, then I'm back to what M2 gives me that 2.06 wouldn't?)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:11 am 

I also had the same question as I also have my Itunes working off one drive of my Naslite box.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:45 pm 

naslite-m2 is naslite-2 with upnp and mdns servers built into it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:17 am 

dimension wrote:
naslite-m2 is naslite-2 with upnp and mdns servers built into it.

Sorry, but for the unsavvy, what benefit does that give me? I don't really have a lot of understanding in terms of protocols and such, so I'm just trying to figure out from a capability/experience/feature standpoint, what it is that I can't do now that I'll be able to do with m2, or what I'll be able to do better or easier or something.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:08 pm 

popechild wrote:
Sorry, but for the unsavvy, what benefit does that give me?
Maybe none at all, but that is for you to decide. Search google for upnp and daap and see if those are things you need. Maybe you dont.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:20 pm 

dimension wrote:
popechild wrote:
Sorry, but for the unsavvy, what benefit does that give me?
Maybe none at all, but that is for you to decide. Search google for upnp and daap and see if those are things you need. Maybe you dont.

I will do that. I was just thinking that since clearly the makers of Naslite think there's a need/desire for those things from their users, someone may be able to specifically outline what benefit they'll have in terms of naslite - in a way that general google info on upnp and daap may not readily make clear to me. Guess not.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:23 pm 

UPNP is just universal plug and play. This is a way for devices on the network to discover and play with each other in a regimented way.

DAAP is an Apple protocol for iTunes server functionality. Basically it allows you to share the songs you have on your machine on your network and sync the play list. I think, I don't use iTunes.

Both broaden the hardware supported on the network and get you closer to a multi media networked home with less hassle.

Devices like PS3 and Xbox use some of these to see media shared from your NAS and so can become players in your multi media system with the help of M2.

I am leaving ALLOT out but hope this helps a little bit. For the extra $5.00 it will cost I would go for it even if you are not going to be using it right now.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:10 pm 

Thanks for that overview.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:55 am 

Thought I would share a bit of info on M2 if you're considering NASLite.

The performance is on par with NL2.0.x with the added benefit of the UPNP and DAAP servers included (I believe there is a slight performance hit with either or both running but a decent server based on one of the medium spec AMD or Intel processors should show little difference if any).

The unified installer makes for a one stop shop for what ever media you wish to boot. This is REALLY GREAT as it means that you can build on what ever boot media you choose to use on your NAS. In addition, it appears to have been a bit tweaked and runs faster.

After install of the new OS I had all three disks available so the upgrade is seamless and painless. This is just the opposite of an MS product so you can expect it to work out of the box the first time with no fuss if you have been running a previous version. There are no upgrade pains!

Having been running it for the last couple of weeks I can honestly say that it is a very nice follow on to the last series of product offerings from Tony and Ralph. This, like all of the previous rolls, is an evolution of the same basic concept of software and just continues to get better with added features and functionality.

Bells and whistles is not what this OS has been about in the past and this roll is no different. It is still predictable, reliable performance with little fluff or flash that drives this OS' development and evolution.

Bottom line, It simply works! If you want a no frills NAS box with a really well thought out basic features set that you set up and then forget for months or even years at a time then this is the OS that you should be running on it.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:32 pm 

What devices are you using to connect to M2? I am interested to know if it works with appleTV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:07 pm 

Sorry, I don't do proprietary hardware that can be broken at the drop of a hat by the manufacturer.

Maybe when I get back I will get one and try it out and then return it.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:54 am 

Then what are you connecting to M2 with? I also have a Roku Soundbridge and was interested in using it with M2. Sounds like you are beta testing it so you must be using something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:24 am 

I plan on getting one of the video players in a couple of weeks to hammer on it with but right now I am using SMB and NFS to test performance and stability, so far there is the same high level of availability and speed. I will let you know about the other stuff ASAP.

Mike