NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:33 pm 

PaulT
There aren't many boards with a PCI-X slot, mainly expensive server boards.
I think the main gripe Superboss has with the board (correct me if i'm wrong) is the transfer speed issue. Mine is even slower than his, however i've never had any problems using it as a video media server, although i don't have any hi-def stuff on it yet.
I can recommend it for stability.
You may even have trouble getting a new M2N32 board as they are out of production as far as i know. i got a 'B' grade one quite cheap, and a 2nd hand one as a spare from e-bay.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:37 pm 

Mikeiver1
Thanks for the info. I still like to have a video output however, just in case i need to go into the BIOS/ can't get to it on the network etc.
Might still try it though - then i can get the faulty card RMA'd and put back in without changing any settings. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:46 pm 

willsy wrote:
PaulT
There aren't many boards with a PCI-X slot, mainly expensive server boards.
I think the main gripe Superboss has with the board (correct me if i'm wrong) is the transfer speed issue. Mine is even slower than his, however i've never had any problems using it as a video media server, although i don't have any hi-def stuff on it yet.
I can recommend it for stability.
You may even have trouble getting a new M2N32 board as they are out of production as far as i know. i got a 'B' grade one quite cheap, and a 2nd hand one as a spare from e-bay.

Willsy,

Thanks for the information. Mine will be used as a storage server for MythTv. I found one for about $186.00. Not sure if that is good or bad, but its still available. Could you tell me what CPU cooler you are using on yours?

Thanks again for the info. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:30 am 

I'm using the stock cooler for my AMD 64 X2 4000+ not too noisy but I'm sure there are less noisy ones. Perhaps this is a better option?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Asus-P5K-WS-Core-2- ... 18Q2el1247

The M2N32 WS Pro obviously has issues with the PCI-x as a bios fix was released for it and its pretty much impossible to use one of the PCI-x slots as there are capacitors in the way :/ If I was to get a new board with PCI-x I'd pretty much go for anything but the M2N32 WS Pro. If you read the ASUS forums ppl have TONS of issues with this board..

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:07 am 

Thanks Superboss. I will take a look at it.

I took a look at it and I just have one question...the LAN is a Gigabit but its Marvell 88E8052 + 88E8056 Gigabit Ethernet Controllers. I have tried looking for these controllers in the NASLite Supported Hardware Guide, but couldn't find anything. Just wondering if the Gigabit LAN will work. Would be nice since it has 2 ports.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:26 pm 

PaulT
$186 (i'm assuming US$) sounds about right, i think i paid around £100.00, which works out somewhere near, although we usually pay in £ what you pay in $ :(
I'm using an dual core 4800+, and yes the LAN controllers do work, although i haven't got my network upgraded to gigabit, but i have no reason to doubt they won't run at gigabit speed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:22 pm 

willsy wrote:
PaulT
$186 (i'm assuming US$) sounds about right, i think i paid around £100.00, which works out somewhere near, although we usually pay in £ what you pay in $ :(
I'm using an dual core 4800+, and yes the LAN controllers do work, although i haven't got my network upgraded to gigabit, but i have no reason to doubt they won't run at gigabit speed.

Willsy,

Are you running the ASUS M2N32 WS Pro motherboard or the Asus P5K WS Core 2 Extreme motherboard that Superboss recommended? I found the Asus P5K WS for about $190.00USD. I was wondering if the Asus P5K WS LAN (LAN: Marvell 88E8052 + 88E8056 Gigabit Ethernet Controllers) is supported and am hoping that is the one you are running on.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:46 pm 

Sorry :oops: i hadn't read all of the posts properly. I'm running the M2N32, so i don't know whether the LAN chipsets on the PK5 WS will be recognised. You could start a new thread to see if anybody has them working. Only other option is to stick a gigabit PCI Lan card in until the next version of Naslite which supports the onboard ones.
If i'd known about the P5K WS i'd have got one myself - they're a bit cheaper than the M2N32

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:51 pm 

Thanks Willsy, I will start a new thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:16 pm 

Just had a look at the hardware compatability list and can't even find the M2N32 Lan controller. Makes it a bit more promising that the PK5 WS Lan chipset might work. Unless that's the reason i'm getting slow transfers, because it's not fully supported.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:20 pm 

I checked for both LAN controllers in the Ref Guide and neither one were listed. I'm slightly optimistic it might work.