NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:09 am 

As already mentioned in another thread I'm looking for a faster possibility to integrate my NL in my network than a PCI NIC.
Mike advised me to install a PCI-e NIC, but both of us don't know, if NL does support PCI-e NICs.

So does anyone know, if I can use a PCI-e NIC in my NL box?
And if I can do so, do I have to use a special one or can I just use any NIC I want to?

Thanks and regards

Christoph

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:56 am 

I'm using a broadcom gigabit pcie (integrated on an ABIT board), so there's nothing keeping it from working.
You should pay more attention to the chipset of the NIC, and that usually dictates if it's PCI or PCIe.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:37 am 

Hi guys

I just wanted to let you know....unfortunately the Micronet SP2612E PCIe
which uses the RTL8168B doesn´t work with 2.06
It won´t be recognized. :( Is there any chance this will change within
next weeks ? Would be very cool cuz german market if full of these
RTLs but few of the broadcoms.

regards
Vince

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:24 am 

what are you using to test the throughput of your server? i recommend Diskwriggler:

http://www.xdt.com.au/Resources/Downloads/

and use something like this:

diskwriggler -NTSC -C -t -n 4000 -o \\192.168.0.11\disk-0 (input your location of diskwriggler and your server address and name)

unless you have a 33 bit/33 mhz pci bus, you should be fine with the IDE card and 1000bT card on the same bus (alternatively, most PCI setups have at least on slot separate from the others, so if you make sure the NIC and the IDE card are on separate buses, there will be no bandwidth sharing.

on my setup, i can saturate the built in gigabit NIC or my PCI gigabit NIC - i have 33 bit/ 66 mhz PCI (max throughput of 266 MB/s)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:20 am 

Though you are right about the split bus on servers this is generally not the case with desktop boards. Fewer have a PCI bus that runs at greater than 33MHz. It was just not considered needed at the time, things change.

You have a couple of options as I see it. Look for a bit more modern hardware, preferably that designed for server duty. A second is to go for a used server on Ebay or the like, again a moderately modern unit should be the ticket. There are allot of them out there with 64bit, 100/133MHz buses and these will not hamper throughput.

The downside to this is that it may require that Tony and Ralph do a bit of modernization of the distro to start taking advantage of the newer "old" hardware coming on the surplus market now. These machines that are coming on the market are older Xeons and in most cases are slower than the common desktop we now run, but they are servers and have "extras" that make them great in the service for which we user them.

Mike