NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:58 pm 

Due to a falling trailing socket the mains power to my naslite box was suddenly cut. It has 2 x HD inside it.

The 1st being the larger drive (primary master IDE-0) with large amounts of data on it, and the 2nd smaller with not too much stuff on it.

I have restarted the system but it is not picking up the 1st HD (errors on the file system) the 2nd HD is being accessed OK.

How can I rescue the situation?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:30 pm 

Firstly don't panic,

You data should be ok, I suggest you purchase Naslite v2, this should fix the filesystem.

or download a copy of Knoppix and use this to fix the filesystem via entering in a few commands.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:10 am 

OK... I got it going again.

Tried using RIPLinux (latest download) but had no success with it, mainly because I did not know how to navigate around it or use it properly.

So digging out an old copy of 'Ultimate Boot CD' I loaded that up. On it was a earlier version of RIPLinux.

using the command line (?) 'e2fsck /dev/hda1' it found errors on the file system and after about an hour or so fixed them and I am now back up running again.

If some expert can confirm that the sequence of loading NASLite is as follows:
System boots from CD - details about setup entered at this point (IP address etc.) - NASLite then writes this info to blank floppy - A reboot then restarts the NASLite process, where it now reads the info on the floppy and applies that to the current setup - System is now up and running.

Another thought "what happens when the back up falls over", should I have a backup of the backup? Or a big collection of DVD's?

One more thought and question..... If I take one of my HD's out of the NAS box and add it to another computer running some flavour of LINUX will it be picked up and be accessible and readable by the LINUX box?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
If some expert can confirm that the sequence of loading NASLite is as follows:
System boots from CD - details about setup entered at this point (IP address etc.) - NASLite then writes this info to blank floppy - A reboot then restarts the NASLite process, where it now reads the info on the floppy and applies that to the current setup - System is now up and running.

Assuming you are talking about NASLite-2 CDD or NASLite+ (this is the wrong forum), then that is correct.

Quote:
Another thought "what happens when the back up falls over", should I have a backup of the backup? Or a big collection of DVD's?

Well, a backup usually implies that you have an original, so if the backup fails then you make another one from the original. If however your "backup" is your only copy, then that is not really a backup but an original in which case it may be prudent to have a backup.

Quote:
One more thought and question..... If I take one of my HD's out of the NAS box and add it to another computer running some flavour of LINUX will it be picked up and be accessible and readable by the LINUX box?

You may have to manually mount the drive but yes. The only thing to watch will be permissions.