NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:29 am 

Highpoint cards are getting very popular (Not so expensive and very good performance)
Is there any plan to have them being supported soon (They actually provide drivers for Linux)
I was going to purchase NASLIte and will end up having a Windows server just because my card is not supported :(
(In my case RocketRaid 3520)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:48 pm 

Any administartor ? Any developper from NASLite ?
When do you plan to include Highpoint Raid controlers in NASLite ?
These card have very good erpformance, at a very reasonable price. They are getting very popular...
I really like your product... just waiting (like probably several otehr customers) to have my hardware supported before purchasing !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:29 am 

Hum... Some NasLite developper ? Sales ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:46 am 

As much as I like NASLite, I am afraid they will probably not support this chipset. You may get a response along the lines of "that's a crappy chipset, use something better".

Alas, NASLite is not very flexible in some areas and new releases are few and far between - all in the name of stability and performance. This is completely OT, but I would like to see another version of NASLite that goes pretty much in the opposite direction of "NanoNAS". I'd like to see a version of the product that is more flexible and updated more often, even if that means occasional hiccups. Then we'd have NanoNAS at the bottom of the product line, NASLite in the middle, and "BigNAS" at the top of the product line. What I'd like to see in an extended offering:

- Ability to choose names for the shares.
- Ability to rebuild the kernal to add support for additional hardware.
- Maybe some security features.
- Software RAID (yes, I know it's not as good as hardware RAID)

This is not meant as criticism, NASLite is very good at doing things within it's design and stated goals. I think serverelements does a great job of development and I'd just like to see their expertise used to develop a more full-featured NAS. Something between NASLite and WHS would be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:54 pm 

Quote:
Alas, NASLite is not very flexible in some areas

I think its pretty obvious some people don't get the name "NASLite"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Grasshopper wrote:
As much as I like NASLite, I am afraid they will probably not support this chipset. You may get a response along the lines of "that's a crappy chipset, use something better".

Alas, NASLite is not very flexible in some areas and new releases are few and far between - all in the name of stability and performance. This is completely OT, but I would like to see another version of NASLite that goes pretty much in the opposite direction of "NanoNAS". I'd like to see a version of the product that is more flexible and updated more often, even if that means occasional hiccups. Then we'd have NanoNAS at the bottom of the product line, NASLite in the middle, and "BigNAS" at the top of the product line. What I'd like to see in an extended offering:

This is not meant as criticism, NASLite is very good at doing things within it's design and stated goals. I think serverelements does a great job of development and I'd just like to see their expertise used to develop a more full-featured NAS. Something between NASLite and WHS would be nice.

I'm not sure how to interpret this. I got the "this is not meant as criticism" part, but I still feel I need to respond :)

Look,
Ralph and I are keenly aware of the fact that the NASLite core needs to be migrated to the current Linux 2.6 kernel and people want better hardware support, user logins, software RAID, and so forth. What I'd like to point out however is that implementing all those things well takes time. We are not at liberty to experiment with people's hardware or the data committed to it, so making frequent releases without making sure that everything is stable will be irresponsible. We make a release every few months. I think that is pretty reasonable.

Neither Ralph not I would have a problem stripping an existing distro and slapping an interface on it. There is no shortage of products out there that take that approach, so why another one?

However, we do agree that a more capable product placing somewhere between NASLite and the big guys is needed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:49 am 

GPLWatcher wrote:
Quote:
Alas, NASLite is not very flexible in some areas

I think its pretty obvious some people don't get the name "NASLite"

Firstly, I do not like sarcasm - If you have a point to make please do so directly. I completely "get" the name. What I'm asking for is something between NASLite and NASHeavy.

Quote:
However, we do agree that a more capable product placing somewhere between NASLite and the big guys is needed.

Tony - Yes, this is exactly what I mean. :D I'm not interested in another UI slapped on Linux distro. I'd like you to apply your engineering and design philosophy to a "mid range" NAS. By engineering design and philosophy I mean:
- Make it easy.
- Make it reliable.
- Make it fast.
- Make it affordable.

IMHO this is what sets ServerElements apart from others. These are your core strengths.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:45 am 

Tony wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:

I'm not sure how to interpret this. I got the "this is not meant as criticism" part, but I still feel I need to respond :)

Look,
Ralph and I are keenly aware of the fact that the NASLite core needs to be migrated to the current Linux 2.6 kernel and people want better hardware support, user logins, software RAID, and so forth. What I'd like to point out however is that implementing all those things well takes time. We are not at liberty to experiment with people's hardware or the data committed to it, so making frequent releases without making sure that everything is stable will be irresponsible. We make a release every few months. I think that is pretty reasonable.

Neither Ralph not I would have a problem stripping an existing distro and slapping an interface on it. There is no shortage of products out there that take that approach, so why another one?

Cool, an admin !
It looks like unless posts get provocative it's hard to get an asnwer
So... any intent to support Highpoint in a near future ? Or have Naslite a bit flexible and autorise the installation of 3rd party drives (I know the kenerl as it is right now doesnt allow it...)
This cards provide a very high performance, are cheap and start to egt ppopular... You would probably get quite a lof of new customers if you support them
Naslite as it is looks quite good, at least for what I need, ut hardware support doesnt sem to be its strong point

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:12 pm 

Quote:

I guess in grasshoopers part of the world this isn't considered sarcasm :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:46 pm 

GPLWatcher wrote:
Quote:

I guess in grasshoopers part of the world this isn't considered sarcasm :oops:

Sarcasm or not... Nobody from NASLite has answered my question
This isnt a forum... it s adesert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:56 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Sarcasm or not... Nobody from NASLite has answered my question
This isnt a forum... it s adesert

Besides the obvious, that the Highpoint cards aren't supported, I think Tony explained our position quit well.

Quote:
It looks like unless posts get provocative it's hard to get an asnwer

I can assure you, this will get you no where.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:38 am 

Ralph wrote:
Besides the obvious, that the Highpoint cards aren't supported, I think Tony explained our position quit well.

That it is a lot of work and you want to make sure of the best compatibility ?
Yes sure... You re kind of paid for that no ? WHre not rally talking abut a freeware
Pretty surprising the arrogance... and the lack of interest for customer's potential needs
I kept on asking politely, and quite disappointed in the end by the tone of the asnwers
Anywya it's life I guess i"ll have to look somewhere else
Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:46 pm 

Moa wrote:
Ralph wrote:

Yes sure... You re kind of paid for that no ? WHre not rally talking abut a freeware...

Thank you

You are right we are not talking about freeware, it is $30 software. $30 software that i now fully trust will all my critical data because i have been able to run it on an approved RAID card for 2 years without failure or data loss - set it up, through it in a closet on a UPS, and you are 100% done.

You seem to be looking to *not* spend anymore money, understandable. But the NASLIte team and the contents of these forums make it crystal clear what NASLite has always been and what it is capable of doing - search the forums, read the docs, and you will find you answer: X is supported, if Y ≠ X, Y is not supported.

Requests are one thing, but to "call out" the creators of this exceptionally stable piece of software because you cannot save $200 and use your existing piece of hardware is impudent.

Go ahead and spend $129 or whatever for a copy of WIndows, just to "save money". You will buy the OS, right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:10 pm 

Right-on sandor,
Some people have a hard time looking past the end of their nose.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:42 am 

sandor wrote:
Moa wrote:
Ralph wrote:

Yes sure... You re kind of paid for that no ? WHre not rally talking abut a freeware...

Thank you

You are right we are not talking about freeware, it is $30 software. $30 software that i now fully trust will all my critical data because i have been able to run it on an approved RAID card for 2 years without failure or data loss - set it up, through it in a closet on a UPS, and you are 100% done.

You seem to be looking to *not* spend anymore money, understandable. But the NASLIte team and the contents of these forums make it crystal clear what NASLite has always been and what it is capable of doing - search the forums, read the docs, and you will find you answer: X is supported, if Y ≠ X, Y is not supported.

Requests are one thing, but to "call out" the creators of this exceptionally stable piece of software because you cannot save $200 and use your existing piece of hardware is impudent.

Go ahead and spend $129 or whatever for a copy of WIndows, just to "save money". You will buy the OS, right?

Thank you for the math lesson... (Glad to see some PhD level people part of Server Elements team...)
Read my posts first: you can see I have been asking very politely... several times... without any kind of answer... Then confronted with some sacarsm, or at least some rather low consideration I reacted quite angrily
Btw it"s not a problem of money, rather a problem of trying to use something small and efficient: I indeed purchased a copy of Vista for my server. And I encourage all the people dissatisfied by the lack of support for HW by your product to go shop around as well... (Vista is clearly overkill, there are other cheaper solutions...)
It was quite simple to answer politely "No we dont have the resources, we dont plan to support this HW in the short term". This would have been polite, considerate and would have more than satisfied me than the B***sh*t I was served...
Or you could also have asked me to pay for a custom version, which I would probably have done...