NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Assist... if possible
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:50 am 

I realize NASLite is using a stripped down core linux kernel so here is the question (I ask since I am going to have this issue very soon....)

Is there a way or command to transfer files/directories via telnet from one NAS drive to another. At the momment, the method I use to do it is simply open the drive in windows and select copy and then open the other drive and select paste, now far be it for me to make asumptions but it seems like its going round trip NASDrive --> PC --> NASDrive. While the drive itself has @ 16 gig of data on it, I do not see a transfer taking 145 hours. So... how dificult would it be to say add a data mirror option so I can backup a drive for replacement, remove and replace.

** I realize if misused this function could destroy all data on an existing drive by foolishly overwriting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:49 am 
Site Admin

NASLite does not include any data management utilities. Using the client machine to manage the files is currently the easiest way to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:55 am 

OK, I'll give it a shot at ripping it apart in Linux and see if I can find a way to get to the command promt and boot the floppy and use mv to see if I can get it to work.

Post subject: Knoppix
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:11 pm 

You could boot from a Knoppix CD and mv the files directly on the server. Sounds like what you're trying to do, except without all the hard work in between. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:34 pm 

Possibly, but I didnt install a CD drive, wanted to make full use of IDE capacity. In the end the ultimate goal for anyone I think is to have a complete small package for data manipulation but most would argue "get an OS". I just figure as the system is geared mainly for data storage it should be able to relocate the data independently, as we dont want to use the monitor or keyboard directly that would mean a alteration to the telnet section as well as files to accomodate the commands. For simplicity though perhaps a simple copy or mv function geared twords drives to move data to another drive then you just unplug the dud drive and replace it.