NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbiee problem
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:53 pm 

Hi. I´m trying to make NAS work. I have made de diskette, I can boot the computer ok, it says "Network initialized", and the HD I am testing is mounted ok. The problem is that the other computers in the net cannot find the server. I cannot ping the server either, or connect with it through HTTP. My network uses 192.168.x.x range of IPs and I set the server at 192.168.0.3. The submask is 255.255.255.0. for all computers. What have I made wrong?
By the way, I use NASLite-SMB. I tried NASLite-FTP too, but I had the same problem. In the other computers I use XP. Can you guys help me??? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

If your hardware is working properly, then there isn't much that should prevent your NASLite server from working properly. If your NASLite server is set to 192.168.0.3 / 255.255.255.0, then the rest of your computers should be set to 192.168.0.X / 255.255.255.0. If that is the case then you should be able to ping the NASLite server.

Post subject: Re: Newbiee problem
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:43 am 

renatosc wrote:
Hi. I´m trying to make NAS work. I have made de diskette, I can boot the computer ok, it says "Network initialized", and the HD I am testing is mounted ok. The problem is that the other computers in the net cannot find the server. I cannot ping the server either, or connect with it through HTTP. My network uses 192.168.x.x range of IPs and I set the server at 192.168.0.3. The submask is 255.255.255.0. for all computers. What have I made wrong?
By the way, I use NASLite-SMB. I tried NASLite-FTP too, but I had the same problem. In the other computers I use XP. Can you guys help me??? Thanks

For the sake of simplicity.....

If your computer IP is 192.168.x.x then the server should be set to 192.168.x.x. if your using a different 3rd octet then you will have to search for the thing. (at least I did)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:04 pm 

If your subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0, then a pc with 192.168.0.x will be on another subnet than 192.168.1.x. If you want all your pc's to communicate with eachother without a router, you should set the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0, or use 192.168.x.y, where x is the same for all pc's.

When you set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, you are saying that the 9 first numbers, out of twelve dedimal numbers in the ip address, is the network number, and only pc's with all of these 9 numbers in common are on the same subnet and can communicate with eachother without a gateway or router.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:32 am 

Well, I kind of solved the problem changing the computer... I guess what is misleading here is that the system status says network initialized (what make us believe everything is ok), when in reality it is not. By accident I started the other computer I am using with the net cable disconnected and it states "initialized" anyway. Shouldn't it state, something like "net work no accessible" or "not up"?

About the first computer, my deduction is that NAS did not accept the net card, I can't see any other reason because I use it normally in my network, so the cable is ok, switch too...

Anyway, thanks for the help. It is a great project. It could be improved a little more. One point that I worry about is power failure that could cause problems to the file system, although I know there is a diskette capacity limitation...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:33 am 

By the way, I almost forgot, about the IP ranges, I already knew that. Thanks anyway...