NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:03 pm 

Hi,

I have been happily using Apple 10.3.8-9 and an old PII box running NASlite-SMB for many months without a problem. I just updated to Tiger (10.4) I am getting a host of connection problems. (I am posting at Apple to but I wonder if someone might have a a suggestion)
I am getting the following messages after using trying to connect and submitting the Workgroup, Name and a (blank) password.
"The finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://10.0.1.100/" could not read or written. (Error code -36)."

Error code -36 is a I/O error.

in my logs I'm getting these messages:
mount_smbfs: session setup phase failed: syserr = Socket is not connected
mount_smbfs: could not login to server SERVER: syserr = Socket is not connected

If there is a way I can correct this it would be great. I understand I just may have to wait for Apple to fix whatever the problem is but I hope not!

Any suggestions would be great - thanks for taking the time to read this!

matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:15 am 
Site Admin

Since it's not officially available until this evening at 6pm I can't comment.

My copy of Tiger 10.4 will arrive this afternoon and I will check for compatibility.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:45 am 

Hi, I'm having similar problems.

I'm relatively new to the Mac OS (my mini is my first) but I had my NAS server working in perfect harmony with my 10.3 installation until I upgraded to Tiger.

Over the course of trying to rectify this I have had an assortment of errors including "name or password is not correct", -36 and "the original item could not be found".

I can, however, connect and log in to the server using the terminal window and telnet.

Please help my Mac and Nas box get along again.

PS Can I ask where you posted your error to Apple support? Is it a discussion others can view?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:58 am 

Found mgantner's Apple Support submission

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx? ... @.68ad8218

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

FYI update:

I've installed Tiger 10.4 and am having the same issue, SMB and NFS will not mount, ftp will however.

I'll investigate this and post/fix when I resolve this.

Post subject: Maybe the dashes?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:04 pm 

just as an update to Ralph and others: I have been doing some reading and discovered that networking in Jaguar did not like dashes in the shared volume name. Of course that was jaguar - but Apple may have changed thier smb protocol in a way that has a similar problem now. all the shares names from NASlite SMB have dashes in them: DISK-1, DISK-2, etc.

I tried to escape the dash with a '\' backslash and a '/' forward slash but it didn't change anything.

Might be something - might be nothing but I thought I would throw that out there.

matt

Post subject: More from Apple
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:42 am 

The folllowing thread is a discussion on Apple concerning connecting to SMB shares on a variety of linux platforms.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx? ... @.68adbf17

At the very bottom of the thread (last post) there is a workaround for this problem but I think it requires root access to the Samba server which of course NASlite does not provide...though I may be wrong.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:36 am 

Temporary solution from Apple Discussions

Quote:
If you are *really absolutely certain* you want mount_smbfs to use plaintext passwords you can try this, but it's obviously a huge security hole:

sudo vi /etc/nsmb.conf (NOTE! not smb.conf)

[default]
minauth=none

save the file ( :wq in vi)

If this works, then anybody can read your password via tcpdump. It's really a lot better to get the server to use ese encryption if possible.

After this, mount_smbfs will try plaintext passwords if the server requires it, but should use NTLMV1, NTLMv2, or kerberos if appropriate. However, some servers might expect plaintext passwords in ascii and others expect utf-16 (like ascii but each ascii character is followed by a zero). If the server expects utf-16 it won't work with Tiger, at least at this time.

One of my things to do is to configure or find a server that does plaintext passwords to test with.

I'm now connecting to my NASLite box no probs :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:40 am 

Hi
Please note Apple has an article concerning this issue. Read it under http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301580 - it's slightly modifying badbugs instructions, using pico and adapting permissions:
Quote:
Make sure that you are not currently connected to any Samba or Windows (SMB/CIFS) servers and that you do not have any Samba or Windows-related error messages open.
Open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/).
At the prompt, type: sudo pico /etc/nsmb.conf
Press Return.
Enter your password when prompted, then press Return again.
You should see an empty file and a "New File" notice at the bottom of the pico window. If you do not see the "New File" notice, this file already exists.
Enter the following into the file so that it appears as follows:

[default]
minauth=none

Save the file (press Control-O), press Return, then exit pico (Control-X).
Type: sudo chmod a+r /etc/nsmb.conf
Press Return.
Restart your computer.

HTH
stoe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:48 am 

I have the Mac 10.4.4 problem - cannot mount the NASLite Server. Digging into the Mac documentation says "one cannot connect to a share with a name that contains a hyphen. Resolve the issue by giving the share a name that does not contain a hyphen."

NASLite-SMB Server documentation says "...will name all configured fixed disk drives available on the server computer as Disk-1 through Disk-4 respectively. These names are fixed and cannot be changed"

I am not sure this hyphen information is solved with the work around published by Apple. Is it related or is this a different problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

I've never had a problem mounting any of my naslite boxes under OSX until 10.3, then the [default] minauth=none fix, solved that.

OSX doesn't have any issues with hyphen'd volume names, this is the first I've heard of it.

Post subject: auto mount SMB on 10.4?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:28 pm 

The minauth=none fix works just fine. How do I mount them automatically at boot, for all users, as Windows does? I am somewhat familiar with **nx, so a pointer to the right commands would be helpful.

Thanks