NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:45 pm 

Well, I have my new NAS up and running, and I have to say that this is the easiest software I found for making this happen (and I tried them all).

I purchased NASLite-2 CDD after trying all the others and finding they either had more than I needed or just didn't seem reliable enough. I NASLite-2 on an old HP with a Pentium III, 128meg of ram and a 160gb hard drive and played with it for a while. Actually, I'm not sure "played" would be the correct word - it just worked from the get go. I had it up and running in less than an hour and then there was nothing to do - it just worked.

The little HP only had a spot for one hard drive, so I set out to find a used PC somewhere on the cheap that would allow me to add a 500gb hard drive. After about a month of fruitless hunting and a few exchages with some folks on craigslist that I thought might be selling stolen PC's, I decided to build a new NAS box from scratch.

I hit Newegg daily until a good deal came up, and for $119 I got a case, power supply, motherboard with on-board everything, 512mb of RAM and a 1.8 ghz Sempron. I checked the linux hardware list and all the chips on the motherboard were supported, so I took the plunge.

Putting everything together took longer than actually setting up NASLite - again completely painless. It's been up an running for about 2 weeks now and I can't be happier. Everything should be this easy (now I just need to find a good deal on the 500gb hard drive!).

Thanks Tony & Ralph for such a great product. This was exactly what I needed.

Regards,

Gary