NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:45 pm 

Hello

Just purchased the NAS Suite. And planning on some fun projects with it now.

Lets say I have four 100 GB hard drives in a older system, and I want to move them to a new system, but retain all their data is that possible. Assume moving from a 233 Mhz PII Intel Computer, to say a 733Mhz Dell OPtiplex.

I am hoping I can just move drives around to different machines :) And if so, what is process to do so?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:20 pm 

If the drives were configured using NASLite then it's just a simple matter of moving them to the new system.

If the drives are not NASLite drives now, you would have to back up all the data on them, put them in the NASLite system, configure them (which will format them and erases any existing data), and then copy the backup data onto them.

If you don't have room to back up all 400GB at once, you could move the drives over one at a time, configure them one at a time, and then move the data onto them.

NASLite formats the drives using the Linux file system. If the drives are already in Linux format you should be able to move them to NASLite without issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:30 am 

hello

Yes, I meant if they were already formatted and being used on another NASLite machine. Basically I was thinking that if the current PC becomes too slow for my taste, can I just take the 4 IDE drives out of the current NASLite PC, and stick them in the new one. I imagine also, I would have to reinstall my license on the new PC, before it would *see* the 4 drives.

This would be very nice upgrade path for me, and it *seems* like it should work without any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:02 am 
steingra,

As smeyer, said just remove the drives setup the server and your up and running again! Thats the beauty of no installation of the OS so you dont have to worry about the hardware.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:53 am 

I upgraded my motherboard and processor etc at christmas and used my original NASlite drives, :wink: I have then added some caddies and at the weekend changed my NASlite case. All done without any problem accessing the original drives.

To take it a step further I also put a caddy in my Windows pc and installed ex2ifs for Windows from http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html and now I can swap drives between my Windows pc and my NASbox with read/write capability, on a network you may ask why bother?
To take my MP3 collection or some HD movies to my friends house is why or for him to back up to my drive and me keep it safe in my NASbox :lol:

So Naslite suddenly becomes even more portable, next step is to buy a USB to IDE adapter with power http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPat ... cts_id=738 and the caddy drives becomes a portable USB external hdd, download the ex2ifs software off the net and install it onto any Windows pc and you can read or write to the disk without the need to physically install the caddies 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:53 pm 

wilbur wrote:
I upgraded my motherboard and processor etc at christmas and used my original NASlite drives, :wink: I have then added some caddies and at the weekend changed my NASlite case. All done without any problem accessing the original drives.

To take it a step further I also put a caddy in my Windows pc and installed ex2ifs for Windows from http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html and now I can swap drives between my Windows pc and my NASbox with read/write capability, on a network you may ask why bother?
To take my MP3 collection or some HD movies to my friends house is why or for him to back up to my drive and me keep it safe in my NASbox :lol:

So Naslite suddenly becomes even more portable, next step is to buy a USB to IDE adapter with power http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPat ... cts_id=738 and the caddy drives becomes a portable USB external hdd, download the ex2ifs software off the net and install it onto any Windows pc and you can read or write to the disk without the need to physically install the caddies 8)

That all sounds awesome! Thanks for posting the info. I have used one of those USB to IDE cables before, to read a problematic laptop hard drive over a usb cable.Those cables are handy.

I will have to think about what you said about being able to access the NASLite drives on a Windoze box, I may have a use for that at some point.

Thanks for the tip!