NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:35 am 

Hi

I have a few questions. I am very interested in your product to make a nice large storage system for my home network of computers.

Does any version of NASLite support files larger than 4GB? I want to store large video files on it.

I have an older (but in good order) Dell poweredge 2200 server, with a SCSI hard drive and SCSI CDROM drive in it. There is no IDE connectors on the motherboard. I know it sounds wierd, but that is how it was made. I am wondering if I added in 1 (or more) ata/133 PCI addin cards...if your software will support the IDE add in cards?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:20 am 
Site Admin

NASLite+ and USB both support files larger than 4GB.

Add in IDE cards aren't supported in the current version, but *will* be in v2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:50 am 

steingra wrote:
Hi

I have a few questions. I am very interested in your product to make a nice large storage system for my home network of computers.

Does any version of NASLite support files larger than 4GB? I want to store large video files on it.

I have an older (but in good order) Dell poweredge 2200 server, with a SCSI hard drive and SCSI CDROM drive in it. There is no IDE connectors on the motherboard. I know it sounds wierd, but that is how it was made. I am wondering if I added in 1 (or more) ata/133 PCI addin cards...if your software will support the IDE add in cards?

As Ralph said vers 1.* doesn't support pci cards but vers 2.0 should, you will be able to copy large files, I have some HD movies and The Lord Of The Rings The Fellowship Of The Ring in HD is 22GB, I copied it to my NASlite+ USB ok, :wink: You could try ebay for an old PC to use or even buy one of the cheaper motherboard and processor packages an intel celeron or socket A, and upgrade your old Dell "allegedly" vers 2.0 will support SATA drives so if you put a modern motherboard in you could add SATA drives to it in the future, which for movie streaming would be better cos of the 150mb/s transfers. 8)
Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:10 pm 

Ralph wrote:
NASLite+ and USB both support files larger than 4GB.

Good to know. It seems like I read some messages here that said it didnt. So I just wasnt sure. That solves one of my issues. Which means I can in fact use it for a backend for SageTV Recorded Video files.

Ralph wrote:
Add in IDE cards aren't supported in the current version, but *will* be in v2

bummer. and of course who knows when 2.0 will come out :) Well I have plenty of *old iron* laying around, so I can use one of those. But my old dell server would have been nice. It is clean, and has lots of space in it, and larger fans. Perfect to use for a NASLite+ file server. EXCEPT it only as SCSI on it. No ide ports/connectors anywhere.

So if NasLite+ 2.0 could support an added in PCI/IDE ata 133 card (I already have one laying around)....then I suppose this server would be useable? Do you think 2.0 will be available in first half of this year?

PS will NASLite+ support 2 CPU's? The old DELL server can support dual PII cpu's. Just curious...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Barring Tony or I dying, I would **think** it would by then :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:08 pm 

Ralph wrote:

or the old "getting run over by a train" trick :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:20 pm 

Ralph wrote:

...better break out the cotton wool then, so we can wrap you two up in it :)