NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:59 am 

I've been successfully using NASLite SMB for quite some time now. I decided some more speed would be nice, so I upgraded to Gigabit. But I can't get the Zonet ZEN3300E to work with NASLite SMBG.

Here's the specs for the card:
http://www.zonetusa.com/DispProduct.asp?ProductID=97

Chipset: Realtek RTL8169S-32 Single Chip

I saw Realtek 8169 listed in the manual, so I figured this card should work.

The odd thing is, I'm not even getting any link lights. Could I have a defective card?

According to the reviews on Newegg, it's supposed to work with Debian right out of the box, so I'm installing that on a spare PC to test it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:00 pm 

No link lights could be a cable problem. Make sure both ends are in all the way.

The other thing you can do is connect a monitor and see if there are any messages during bootup that indicate a problem. You have to read fast to do this :lol:

If NASLite boots, does the "Initializing Network" line show Successful on the login screen?

Also make sure the card is fully seated in the computer pci slot. Try a different slot if you have one available.

Does the motherboard have on board ethernet? You may have to disable it in the BIOS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:32 pm 

I tried the card in a different PC with the same SMBG boot disk and it worked fine.

Right now I guess it's the old motherboard (Abit BH6?) that won't support the card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:52 pm 

In the BIOS on the chipset setup screen, is the Delayed Transaction entry enabled? This has to be on to for the motherboard to be compliant with the PCI 2.1 spec.

The other issue could be the PCI slots don't provide 3.3 volts and the card is expecting them to. That would explain the no lights issue.

Glad to hear you got it to work in another computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:39 pm 

Delayed Transaction was disabled, so I enabled it. Still no lights on the card. Probably a PCI slot voltage thing.

Thanks for the help with the diagnosis.

The card is working in my Athlon 1700+ rig. I'm thinking of making that my new NASlite box, but with all the fans, it's much louder than a PII-400. I have a PII-600 motherboard laying around. I may try the card in there, ad if that works, that could become the new NASlite box.