NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:55 pm 

Hi all

I am new to this, just discovered Naslite and thought "Thats what I need!"

currently my prototype NAS box is a K6-200 with 32megs of RAM and a single 40GB HDD (I intend to up this to ~200GB total if the trial is successful).

It has the only NIC I had lying around in it atm, a cheap and nasty Realtek 8139 based card.

It seems to work fine and I am quite impressed, my only reservation is that transfer speed seems somewhat slow. It's only hitting about 1.5-1.7MB/sec.

I was really hoping for something more like 5-8MB/sec since its a 100Mb network. Is this sort of performance normal, or is there a problem? Do you think it could be my cheapy network card which is causing it? If so, what cards would you recommend to speed things up a bit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:03 pm 

many appologies, I have answered my own question by a little reading over in the NASLite forum, seems that the floppy disk Mb version doesn't do DMA and so is rather slow. I will now attempt to aquire a Gb NIC and try again, hopefully with more success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:17 pm 

The Netgear GA311 is fine and works well.

I have NASlite+ and having upgraded my motherboard, processor and RAM I'm now getting transfer speeds around the 15-20mbps average, not brilliant but it enabled me to stream a high def movie (at last) to my HTPC and it only stuttered once. when Vers 2.0 comes out I'll put in a SATA drive which should increase the rate even more 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:48 pm 

well as none of the other boxes on my network are Gb capable and a Gb card was going to cost at least as much, I have gone for NASLite+. I now have 5MB/s consistantly from my old 40GB Quantum Fireball via a distinctly cheap Realtek card.

Still not exactly blazing fast, but not too shabby and probably about as much as one can expect from 10/100