NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:24 am 

Hi,

I just purchased the server suite.

Got NASlite+ setup and went to add
the disks when I noticed that my 250GB disk
{attached to the HPT controller} was not recognized.
These controllers are ATA/133 and are on the motherboard.
{The kernel saw the device just fine - I watched as it was
booting up - NasLite does NOT make it available for use.}

I moved it to the ATA/100 as a slave to my other disk.
It was recognized just fine.

NASLite does not even support my ATA/133 controllers?
What gives?

How often are updates released?

Can you please open a Latest Development in the forums?

I mean we users that purchased your software should
at least be aware of what is coming. At least some idea.

I am rather upset with the very limited Software/Hardware support.

No SATA No SCSI No HPT/133 controllers...
No way of disabling services. i.e. I only want Cifs and NFS
nothing else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Can you provide some information on the exact motherboard you are using as well as posting the contents of the NASLite Info System Log page. That will shed some light on the hardware setup you are using.

Quote:

No SATA No SCSI No HPT/133 controllers...
No way of disabling services. i.e. I only want Cifs and NFS
nothing else.

NASLite was designed with a specific purpose in mind. To be as simple as possible, as portable as possible, as compact as possible, as efficient as possible. All of that while preserving excellent stability and reliability - even when in the hands of an absolute novice. In order to achieve all of the above, we had to make a number of assumptions and follow specific deign rationales, automating all possible aspects and cramming the OS in as tiny of a footprint as possible. I think that NASLite not only achieves it’s design purpose, but it instills confidence in users. Enough so that it has become common for people with little or no computer experience to build and deploy NASLite servers based on newer and much more capable hardware.

We are happy with the increased user expectations, so we are working hard to accommodate. We are still very interested in preserving the stability, footprint, ease-of-use and everything else that makes NASLite what it is. NASLite-2, tentatively due sometime early next year, is progressing and should accommodate all requirements that you listed above.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:28 pm 

Thanks for the reply...

Ok so will I have purchase this again when 2.0 becomes available?

Ok I will send that log in when I get home. My motherboard is a Soyo P4s
Dragon Ultra
http://www.tomshardware.com/2002/04/03/ ... age13.html
It has 4 IDE controllers. Which should give me 8 Drives possible. I also
have a Maxtor SATA PCI installed for future use.

Oh by the way... In retrospect. This is VERY easy to implement...
And yes a NOVICE could do this without worry. Installation was very
simple indeed. Cudos for that! You guys did a super job indeed.

However, I have 18 years of computer experience from 8086 PC's to Giant Mainframes. I am currently a UNIX Administrator... So I know a thing or two. Been playing with Linux for the past 7 years now... Fav distro GenTOO

So I am hoping that 2.0 Release will also include user authentication {or at least network} Maybe some advance tab feature. Will it also include the
ability to Administer from a web browser. I am not a fan of Telnet. Nor using the console. I work with NAS's at work NetApp. Netapp NAS includes everything via the web gui.

Dare I ask about RAID? as in maybe Stripe or Raid5 or 4 disks { 2 disk striped volume and mirrored.} Software raid is ideal.

Any thoughts on the 2.6 kernel?

How do I get access to the boot floppy/USB thing... Although booting from CD is cool.. it burns up an IDE port. My motherboard seems to lie to me there is an option to boot from USB{FDD, HDD, ZIP and CDROM} but it just does not want to do it AT ALL. Even though the option is available in the BIOS.

Thanks again for the reply...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:30 pm 

Do you have a need for Beta testers?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:25 am 

linuxgeek wrote:

I think it's a bit unfair to call NASlite limited :? It's a Network Attached Storage operating system that can utilise old and redundant equipment, and it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Now if you want it to do more, go get a full server operating system or wait it out as Tony and Ralph develop the different upgrades and ideas we as Server Elements customers have requested. And then continue to participate on one of the best forums I've come across :wink:

There is a definate continuous improvement ethic with these guys, the 4gb SMB limit is a prime example :lol:

It supports a huge range of hardware, maybe you were just unlucky with your motherboard choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hello linuxgeek,

Your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated, but please focus your attention on the product name:

NASLite

There are some features you are looking for that just aren’t going to make sense in a product such as this. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:55 pm 

Quote:

There is a definate continuous improvement ethic with these guys, the 4gb SMB limit is a prime example :lol:

It supports a huge range of hardware, maybe you were just unlucky with your motherboard choice.

Well I would say this motherboard has A LOT of potential. As it now can support 10 Hard Drives
{that is if my case could} There is another project called
FreeNAS that at least supports my 133 controllers which will
increase throughput that was my main gripe here. It also supports SATA, USB drives and SCSI. It has a very small footprint as well... I can enable and disable services and manage everything from the web GUI. However, its current release has a broken NFS and it would seem that activity is not as often as is NASLite+. Though I do believe the developer is working hard at it - releases seem to be less often. I must have CIFS and NFS at the minimum. So that brought me to NASLite and since niether of the free NASLite software supports both concurrently. I bought the server package just to have everything.

I have come to understand the Philosophy of NASLite+ though and I do commend this project whole-heartedly...
It is a very simple to install and easy to use NAS OS for
use on older hardware. I get it now...

BTW: I have 2 Maxtor 250GB Ultra 16 HD's {ATA/133 with 16 Megs of cache} Hence my previous though misunderstood gripe above. Note: I had one of these in my Linux workstation as a spare drive with a PATA/SATA convertor on it and I was getting 2GB/sec cached reads and 61MB/sec bufferred disk reads in hdparm. Fastest drive I have ever seen - so far that is... :D

I could just build a server and do everything myself, but it would not be as COOL AS the NASLite+ is... I mean the idea of the whole project is just plain Awesome!