NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:36 am 

I have some new goodies to play with :D

A Rioworks HDAMA rev G server board fitted with 8 Gig ram and 2 Opteron 275 cpus
and a HP AD194-60001 PCI-X dual port fibre / Ethernet card

Noticed during booting the system i get the message "PCI CONFIGURATION ERROR"

i can't enter the BIOS of the card either. When i press Ctrl-Q nothing happens. A bit of googling i found out that the nvram could be corrupted and needs to reset. QLOGIC won't give the needed information (and files), because the card is an OEM-Card for HP

The BIOS lists the card as a QLOGIC QLA2462

I know this maybe beyond the scope of the forums

So i want to ask if there is anybody on here who can tell me how to reset the nvram ? and maybe a BIOS that is not OEM that will work better

Steve

Attachments:
5.JPG
5.JPG [ 52.14 KiB | Viewed 22431 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 53.07 KiB | Viewed 22431 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 58.64 KiB | Viewed 22431 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:59 pm 

Well the BIOS thinks it's a 4Gb FC-AL card from the number. Basically the card is actually a pair of cards with a PCIx 133 bus bridge chip. There is the Intel NIC portion and there is the Qlogic portion. There are HP-UX drivers for it, basically UNIX. I seriously doubt that it is gonna work for you under NASLite. You can try moving it from PCIx slot to PCIx slot but I think it will not help. These kinds of cards are generally a pain to get to work outside of the OS/hardware vendor they are designed for/by. There are exceptions of course, the 4 port 100Mb Sun mircosystems 501-5406 happy meal card is one example. This is basically four National Semiconductor NICs sitting on a PCI bridge chip. Works great under Smoothwall. NASLite I will bet will not have the drivers for the card so cut your losses and find a good GIgE NIC by Intel and call it good. I picked up a pair of the Intel Pro gigabit NICs with Fibre interface for $10.00 each plus like $6.00 for the shipping on Ebay. There are a boat load of them there for real cheap.

Interested to see how the Rioworks Opteron board works for a NASLite server. Still hammering on my server with an Intel 5000 server board and dual Xeons getting it setup.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:47 pm 

Hi Mike cheers for that , I just got them to have a play with and to learn more about server boards etc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251061546687? ... 9#shpCntId

this is the board

Steve :D