NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:01 pm 

Just to let you know, I think, maybe my machine is getting a little old, I was from 7 till 12 last night trying to get naslite-m2 working.

After many many reboots, and many many reconfigs of the bios and swapping ide lead to different sockets and swapping cdroms and burning 4 iso discs, I concluded an iffy ide lead, and an iffy cdrom drive both with intermittent faults... Oh dear!

I've just adapted a robocopy file to back up my music pc's hdd to the sata raid 0 on the naslite-m2, running robocopy from the day to day pc, seems to be chugging away nicely, network lights flashing like mad :-D

A question...
Its a very old machine, what would be causing a bottle neck with regards to r/w speeds?
I'm afraid I don't really know what most of the things mean on the status of the nas, but
On the network status screen RX is 98%
and System Memory RAM is at 98% (246 of 250 used)

Would more ram help speed?

Werhay! up and running for a little while now, 6.8GB done only 400odd to go for that pc :-)

Cheers for all the help !! nas up and running fine :-) Much appreciated, Thankyou !!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:15 pm 

it will use the ram available - but 256 is nothing - it will work but i think you will run into problems down the line with disc checking - i would certainly add more - dont know if it will speed transfer up though

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:12 pm 

Yes I forgot how little 256 is, my day to day pc has 1gig, which is pretty minimal these days anyway.

Will keep an eye out for more very old ram, cheers!

EDIT
Oh, just checked the motherboard book and it says memory is expandable up to 384MB...

I'm thinking it may not be worth the hunt for the extra ram, as it can't go up that much more, just keep an eye out for a newer pc ;-o

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:58 pm 

The boot creates a RAM drive and then loads the OS on that and boots it from there. The space used is very small, I think less than maybe 10 or 15MB. the rest of the RAM is used for buffer for reads and mainly writes. If the motherboard is so old that it needs SDRAM then you are going to pay more for the RAM than a good basic machine. You can have a very good used server for around $100.00 USD off of Ebay. I have used these a few times and the performance is fantastic. These even included a 3Ware RAID card and drives.

Upgrade the machine.

Mike