NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to check HD health
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:45 pm 

My Naslite M2 box has 8 HDs in it. All of them are connected through 3Ware 8506-8 and is setup an individual drive (not raid).

I heard some clicking noise but not sure which drive is clicking. SMART is not functioning since they are connected through the 3ware card. Any suggestion on how/what kind of software I can use to plug into each drive to check the healthiness of the HD?

4 of the HD are Samsung's and the rest are Seagate's.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:36 am 

In my opinion, SpinRite (http://www.grc.com/spinrite.htm) is the ultimate software tool to test hard disk integrity and recover data. The downside is that it is expensive ($89), but I have always considered it a wise investment. Do not be put off by the fact that the current version (6.0) has been around for 8 years: that's actually testament to the fact that "it does exactly what it says on the tin".

You will have to test your disks one at a time by moving them to another PC. You boot that PC from the SpinRite CD (which you burn yourself from a disk image), select the disk to check, and off you go. Testing can be time consuming, but it's thorough.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:38 am 

Hi

I'd boot from a Linux distro CD ans see it smart works this way and force an extended smart check.

If not, you may boot to the RAID card's BIOS and see if you find any information there.

Robby

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:44 pm 

I am also a believer in SpinRite. However, since this is first off a "search" mission to identify WHICH HDD ... I'd try robrub's route ( linux 'smartctl' command ). Doing a complete SpinRite at this time on each drive would be too time consuming; eventually SpinRite can save your butt, however. Once you have identified the clicking disk, backup the data off of it. Based on size/prices/smartctl result you can decide to buy a replacement disk or use SpinRite to recondition the disk.