NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:35 am 

I just purchased the M2 product last night, and I am rather impressed. One could setup a Linux system from scratch to do all this, but it is so pleasant to have it all done! Well worth the $35!

I do have a couple questions I wish to ask though:

(1) I installed this on an old Pentium III 1.2ghz server, with 1.2gb of RAM, and only a 70 gigabyte drive on it. I connected a couple of USB drives and it recognized 'em and worked just like a champ! (Another reason I was impressed...)

I will need to upgrade the hardware in this machine, add in USB 2.0 and Firewire connectivity, upgrade the ethernet to gigabit speed, and add in a se second old IDE drive for it to boot from. Will any of this cause me to have to go through the ornery license/activation process again?

(2) If the hardware upgrades prove to troublesome, I might want to buy a cheap Dell box to run it on- will I be able to transfer the license and drives to a new box?

(3) Just a support note - entering the registration key is a bit of a trial - the on screen example shows the dashes, but it will not accept the dashes, complaining about an invalid code. Perhaps I am a little slow, but it took me three tries to leave the dashes out, at while point, the registration / license code was accepted.

(4) Are you guys still actively developing the product? Most of the notes on the website and board are around a year old or longer.

-Paul

Post subject: Re: Hello
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:54 am 

P.S. While browsing around the forum boards, I noted somewhere that the development o NASLite is done on Macs? How cool!
Any chance it will run on an old (i.e. 2005) Mac Mini? I have a few of those laying around gathering dust. I would not mind blowing them away and attaching FireWire drives to 'em.

Nope, I would not mind that one little bit!

-Paul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:01 pm 

1 - some hardware you can change and its happy - other bits and pieces demand you get a new key and enter that - its quick, simple and painless

2 - yes - you can transfer - just install - enter the license number and get a new key

3 - not noticed any problem with entering number - but its so long ago i really dont remember

4 - new versions come out as and when - development is on going as far as i know

and your mac question - try it - you can use the same version you have for a test - i dont think the developers mind that - if it works just transfer everything to the mac and make that your system if thats what you want

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:06 pm 

tony a wrote:
1 - some hardware you can change and its happy - other bits and pieces demand you get a new key and enter that - its quick, simple and painless

I reinstalled tonight to a USB stick, and it did require me to get a new key, but other than that, it worked very slick. I'll be adding in a different USB/Firewire controller and a gigabyte network card over the weekend, and copying over our 800gb music library. I'll have to add a couple larger disks for the video library.

I guess there is no easy way to do a local copy of the data, short of mounting the disks on a Linux system with root access?

Quote:
and your mac question - try it - you can use the same version you have for a test - i dont think the developers mind that - if it works just transfer everything to the mac and make that your system if thats what you want

Those old Macs have PowerPC chips in them, running at about 1.4ghz. This looks to be an intel only distribution, and the Intel Macs are all more useful as Macs right now. :)

Really nice job on this guys. I am really impressed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:14 am 

it will [i think] run on other things but intel - i have no real knowledge - i have run it on a neoware box

as i say try it - you will know just install it on a second system - add the serial number and get a key - if it works go that way - if not nothing lost - your 1st system will still be ok

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:06 am 
Site Admin

NASLite-2 and M2 will run fine on intel based macintoshes.

You'll need to do a hard drive install, or USB key, since there's no floppy disk to write the configuration to for using the livecd.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:28 am 

Ralph wrote:
NASLite-2 and M2 will run fine on intel based macintoshes.

You'll need to do a hard drive install, or USB key, since there's no floppy disk to write the configuration to for using the livecd.

So I gather - but the old Macs are PowerPC, not Intel. Shame.

Yours,
-Paul