NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 pm 

Hiya,

Just wondered if you may be able to help me. My equipment is a little dated but don't see why it should not work once again....fingers crossed :-)

I'm guessing my Naslite box has stopped booting, and hence not connecting to the network. As far as I can work out, the beeps it makes, do not tie in to any of the beeps listed in the instructions. This makes me think that Naslite is not being read properly to enable proper start up...?

I'm a little out of date, in that I remember installing NasliteHDD onto my old pc's 8gb hdd and then installing a 500gb as the nas drive. I'm guessing the 8gb has eventually given up. Do you know if I would be able to boot from a usb stick?

It is an old PC100 supersocket7 board M590 that has an ATX form card connector on the mother board, if I could get hold of such a form card, would it be the BIOS that has the say so on booting from a USB stick, or would one of the newer versions of Naslite be able to set the USB stick as the boot device?

Many thanks for any pointers or help,

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:47 pm 

Just read a bit about CF IDE, going to try and find out a little more as I have no clue as to what they are, but am under the impression they would install much easier than a usb form card and stick, and I think I would find booting easier too as its on ide?

Do I recall correctly, that generally, if a mother board has 2 ide slots, I can connect two ide devices to each slot with a double socket cable?

I have my boot drive 8gb, and my nas drive 500gb on one cable, and the other ide slot is empty, ready for a cf ide possibly :-)

Thanks for any thoughts

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 6:16 pm 

First off, some older MBs do not boot from the USB part. I had one that I needed a boot CDROM to get the USB to boot. This was before Server elements came out with the unified boot images.

The beep codes are from the boot ROM of the board and indicate a hardware failure of some sort. Look up BIOS beep codes.

I use the CF card for boot and it has worked great for years.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:18 am 

go with the cf card - adaptors are cheap enough on ebay - get one that connects via a ribbon cable and is mounted on a pci backplate - that way you can get at it easily without opening up the pc once its installed

most older motherboards have 2 ide slots - each supporting 2 harddrives - you can have a second drive [slave] on the cf/ide adaptor - but i have always found it easier to have the cf card on its own line

you dont need a big cf card - 64meg is fine - again cheap enough on ebay

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:59 pm 

Wonderful, thanks for your comments.

I have ordered a CF ide adaptor, a mate may well have an old cf card he does not want as he keeps up to date with the whopping big ones, as you say Naslite only takes up a tiny bit so a small one won't cost much :-)

I can't seem to find the beep codes for my old bios, I fired up the old pc just to remind my self of the beeps, one short medium, followed by a 5 second or so, angry bee buzz, followed by a short medium...

Anyones guess I think being so old.

Any way, started to cook dinner and about 6 mins later heard some familar sounding beeps, ran in to pc, and Naslite-2 status appeared on the network :-) BUT - status not as one would have liked - will start another post as bit off this topic.

Thanks very much again, will install the cf ide when it arrives :-)