NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:10 am 

Not yet.

I first downgraded to 1.63 because that was a quick and easy issue to check, but that made no difference. So, I have reconfigured the four disks as two RAID 1 units. The first of these formatted overnight and the second will have completed by the time I get home from work this evening.

I'll report back later.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:29 pm 

I've managed to figure out that the problem with slow transfers is only when writing to the RAID array on NL.

When I copy a file of around 0.8 GB from my Windows 7 PC to NL, the transfer proceeds quickly at first and then slows down to between 2 and 3 MB/second. The first 150 MB transfers almost immediately.

The same file copied in the other direction transfers at around 43 MB/second. The rate varies a little and even peaks around 50 MB/second, but never drops below 40 MB/second. That seems to rule out the possibility of any problem with the network connection.

So what might be causing the slow writes?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:38 pm 

no idea is the answer but can i suggest something [maybe stupid] but --

1 - boot the naslite box with a linux distro - see what happens - if you repeat the problem its not naslite - raid card setting maybe - if you solve it it is naslite - where you go then with naslite i have no idea

2 - if 1 is not conclusive - put the raid card in a windows box and play in there

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:56 pm 

Okay, it was all my own stupid fault.

I've not had to set up any disks on NL for a while and the big red scary warning screen about potential loss of data in the event of a power failure was enough to convince me that turning off write caching was the right thing to do. Not so. Caching is back on and everything is fine again.

The experience did make me take a look on ebay for a battery backup unit for the 9500S-4LP but I could not find one. Does anybody have any ideas about where else might be worth a look?

Last edited by leicray on Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:21 am 

leicray wrote:
Okay, it was all my own stupid fault.

I've not had to set up any disks on NL for a while and the big red scary warning screen about potential loss of data in the event of a power failure was enough to convince me that turning of write caching was the right thing to do. Not so. Caching is back on and everything is fine again.

The experience did make me take a look on ebay for a battery backup unit for the 9500S-4LP but I could not find one. Does anybody have any ideas about where else might be worth a look?

Ray they do keep popping up from time to time.

Another way might be to have a UPS for the box which will protect it for a short time (a 2Kw one should give about an hour or so ) so that would definately protect for short brown outs/fluctuations. It all depends on how much you write to the box and for how long in a session and also how often?

If you are only writing manually you can stop it if you get a power cut but also if your source machine isnt on a UPS then you dont really have a problem as that will stop writing and as long as the NL box is on a ups (No matter what size) it should last long enough to clear out the 128/256 mb of cache.

Does this maybe give you some ideas.

Doug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:02 pm 

Hi Doug,

I use NL-M2 mostly for performing backups of the the hard disks in my PC. I also use it to stream media and any transfer of new media to NL is done at specific times. However, I've just bought Genie Timeline which will write at short regular intervals to NL when the PC is on. That's what worries me most. NL is important to me, but it's not mission-critical, so I'll probably do without a UPS for now.

I'll still keep my eye open for a battery backup unit in case any become available on ebay.

Thanks,

Raymond