NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:33 am 

I've got a couple weeks off and want to update my NAS Server. I need some hardware suggestions to accomplish what I want.

Needs:
1. Energy Efficient (Possibly a 45W CPU)
2. Cool Running (I've got this in my office and with that and a i7 920 plus a laptop at times it gets toasty in the summer)
3. Relatively Quiet (I've got to work near it so need it as quiet as possible)
4. Gigabit (I Need this to work with Gb type speeds, I'll be using HP Procurve 1410 switches but this will connect right to my DIR-655 router)
5. Raid 1+0 (I'd like to run maybe 4 1TB Drives to get a 2 TB Array to hold my stuff. I'm running off 1.5 TB Raid 5 now and it has been sufficient size wise. I'm looking at 3Ware and Adaptec but have been told the Adaptec runs extra hot)
6. Fit in a normal case. (I have a spot for the server already and a rack mount wouldn't fit)

I'm thinking about one of the AMD 45W CPUs. My previous 2 athlon CPUs wont' use an external Gb card so if you have one that is working I'd like to hear your set up.

I'm starting from scratch here and I don't really have a budget per se..but I'll say to keep it under say $1000 without the hard drives maybe?

Thanks

Lance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:48 pm 

Most new motherboards have a GigE NIC on board as well as at least two 16xPCIe slots and one or more 1x or 4x PCIe slots. Just about anything that you choose should work for the purpose. I would pick the processor first and then just start looking for a motherboard that has the ports I needed to meet specs set forth. Since you are also planning on adding a hardware RAID card you will need to make a motherboard choice based on that as well as the processor.

Personally I think that you are going to have a bit of a time finding a case for the drives and MB and keeping it all cool while also keeping it quiet.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:07 pm 

I have a Yeong Yang B0221 case - it's a cube (split in half internally vertically as you look at the front) with motherboard on one side and the PSU and drives in the other. I have lined mine with foam and used quiet fans - it's not too bad at all for noise.

I like my 3Ware cards - I've had 6 in total and had no problems with any of them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:18 pm 

Well right now I have an AMD 64 processor with 4 HDD and an 3 Ware PCI card and it runs relatively cool and quiet with the case fans. All the HDDs are 7200 RPM IDE drives so not sure they wouldn't be any louder than what is out there now. My biggest fear is of M2 not supporting the Gb nic onboard for some reason. I see a lot of 8111C which I had seen previously and I think works based on some posts to me previously. Looks like I put together a hardware list and see what people think if no one else out there has a similar newer setp that I can duplicate. If it is as quiet as it is now then it won't be a problem. The room is so hot now (110 here right now outside) that I have a ceiling fan and oscilating fan to move air out of the room and keep it circulating. Thanks for the info and I'll possibly post my hardware before buying to see what people think.

Lance