NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VPN to naslite
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:32 am 

Some may be interested in my recent experience. I installed the shareware VPN Client from ShrewSoft.com onto my laptop (XP) here in france and after many iterations have successfully managed a secure Tunnel through the home Gateway to my NL files. Currently listening to a perfect rendition of Gabriel Faure's Piano and Cello Sonata, here in France. The Client is 32 and 64 bit compatible, XP and 7 or Linux.

Post subject: Re: VPN to naslite
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:47 am 

Cool, is it an open source VPN that would work with the likes of say smoothwall?

Mike

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:04 am 

hello mike! - yes have a look at Shrewsoft.com and their linux client. They have a downloadable guide there; there are also linux scripts. There is a rather strange vpn-help forum e-mail based tho. The App is closely modelled on TheGreenBow commercial Client that has more documentation. As you have VPN on your Smoothwall it will be a matter of reciprocally establishing the Authentication/Phase1/Phase2 configs. Mind you it took me best part of a month to get it working with a roaming client and two dyndns addresses. Let me know your thoughts and progress! regards Jeff

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:36 pm 

Hay Jeff,

Moving at the end of the month to the east coast of the USA but will be doing this when I get situated. Want to be able to play my movies off of the array at friends houses.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:57 pm 

Hi mike!

Did you and your YL finally manage to up-sticks to the East Coast? Some 4 or 5 months but you might not be unpacked fully!

Did you ever get around to fiddling with VPN/smoothwall. As I said it is pretty fantastic once you have cracked the protocols. I can stream my music and run around my home PCs using remote desktop from France.

A favour mike. I have a US sourced IPCam D-link DCS-6620G. Failed out-of-warranty. The micro processor board seems tits-up; the cam doesn't get through the POST phase. Now D-link won't help as they say I can not have bought it in Europe. Are you able to trace a US repair shop with D-Link experience with whom I could negotiate spares or ROM flash? (Sorry - bit cheeky that!). Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:35 pm 

Hay Jeff, sorry I didn't get back to you, guess this on got missed when I check for new posts.

We did in fact get to the east coast of the USA and are pretty well settled in, now comes the job hunt. DOH!

Just PM me all the info on the camera, IE the serial, model number, Rev, etc. and I will give them a call and see what I can get them to do for me. No promises but I can usually get more done then they want to. Might involve you sending the camera to me and I can then forward it to them but... Most of these companies are d!@ks about this kind of stuff now days. Gotta protect the raping that the middle men inflict on the consumer.

It is not a problem at all my friend so don't feel bad for asking.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:02 pm 

Of course this VPN channeling is pretty cool, but if it is just music.... there's a simpler way.
I listen to my music everywhere, even on my phone.

I'll send you both a test drive login!

Subsonic Music Streamer is great & free

PieterB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:03 am 

Hi pieterB - I get my music streamed through either my secure website or ftp(s) to NL normally; the vpn is mainly for using my home computer network and facilities like printing from abroad. The shrewsoft client performs perfectly. The home gateway is a ZyXel P661H. The music stream was a quick verification of speed and latency issues; no discernable degradation; once the tunnel is established there are no apparent penalties.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:58 am 

jeffjohn wrote:
I get my music streamed through either my secure website or ftp(s) to NL normally; the vpn is mainly for using my home computer network and facilities like printing from abroad. The shrewsoft client performs perfectly. The home gateway is a ZyXel P661H. The music stream was a quick verification of speed and latency issues; no discernable degradation; once the tunnel is established there are no apparent penalties.

What I am puzzled about is the reason why you are tunneling. When I'm in NY, I use Remote Desktop to my home IP address, through a designated port on my router. The IP address is in theorie dynamic, but in practice static. That part is pretty reliable. I can do virtually everything, but of course, using the interface of the XP computer in my home office in The Netherlands.

Is it the security of the relay which is bothering you?

PieterB