NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:35 am 

I figured the hardware area may be the best place to post this.....

Now that I've gotten naslite up and running and working well with a bunch of drives in it. I'm considering the idea of setting up a home survellience system. My goals are.........

To start between 2 and 4 wireless webcams in various locations throughout the home/property, with the ability to add more as needed. They need to be tiny. I don't want some big, ugly looking survellence cameras.

The cameras can/will activate based on motion and either record or take pictures of the area.

The user (myself and family) should be able to view the camera's from any PC either from within the home or when away.

Part of my rational for this is planning for our 'family growing by +1' this upcoming summer period. The ability to check his/her status from a laptop, etc, while in the backyard, etc, would be great, and the added home security is plus.

I would think hope, that I could then also archive the recordings and images to my nasbox with some type of backup software utility being used.

I've done some research, but any help and suggestions for cheaper/better cameras and software would be great. And I'm open to either running the software on any platform, as have the parts to build a dedicated PC for it if needed.

I'm really hoping for some camera suggestions, as I really don't want to go spending $100+ per camera if it can be avoided.

Here's a couple of nice articles I have already found.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-10301349-248.html

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-bui ... h-your-pc/

Thanks
PT

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:23 pm 

Any TCP/IP Wi-Fi camera will be very pricey, at least those that produce a good image.

Your best bet is to look at simple wireless cameras that output composite video and use a capture card that is designed for surveillance. These generally come in multiples of 4 channels of input and can be cheap if you look around. The big issue you are going to have is the software on allot of them is poor to say the least. All should/will allow you to direct to a mapped drive which in your case will be the array.

This is really not the forum for this question though. I simply respond because I have a done a number of these systems in the past. There are allot of other forums that would provide far more info and be better suited to answer and direct you. This forum is very narrow in it's focus on NAS and in particular, NASLite products.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:15 am 

ptmuldoon wrote:
I'm really hoping for some camera suggestions, as I really don't want to go spending $100+ per camera if it can be avoided.
PT

I have a dLink DCS-950G (cable and WiFi but I use with cable only) that does all you want and alone (it includes the motion detection and writing to the NAS). The bad side: it is not very small and the price is not so cheap but the image quality is nice.

I had also used a camera software Netcam Watcher Pro that was nice.

RR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:32 am 

yes - similar. I have three D-Link DCS-5300 in france viewable and steerable from UK home. No issues, though D-Links support and warranties are abysmal. Bought a DCS-6620 in USA and they refuse to supply parts to EU!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:00 pm 

I have now 2 Panasonic BL-C101 cameras. They are wired but the same exists in WiFi (BL-C121). Great image quality, motion detection, FTP image save (to NASlite and/or internet) etc. They are not not very cheap but very good image quality (even with low light conditions). You can watch them from any place from the internet too.

One is for sale (if you like a wired one). PM me if you like.

Robby